"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Things I'm Loving Today...

I have found that there are things I love, and then there are things I choose to love.  For instance:

I love Diet Mountain Dew.  I wake up thinking about it, literally.  I make sure I always have plenty on hand (cans...so cold they are almost frozen), in my little basement fridge.  If I run out unexpectedly, usually after I've sent a small child downstairs to fetch me a can one too many times and they neglect to tell me I'm running low, it is worth a trip to Super Saver at 10 or 11pm to get it so I have it cold by morning.  If I travel out of town (by car or plane) I pack my own stash.  I could go on and on...it's pure love, my feelings toward my DMD.

I choose to love my family.  My husband is wonderful, and my kids are precious, but I have to make the choice to love them every single day.  They don't always make me gush.  Sometimes, they make me crazy.  Once in a while, I honestly wonder if we are going to survive a particular phase of life (teething? attitude? whining?).  But.  I choose to love them anyway.  Once I've decided that I'm going to love them, and act accordingly, I find that I actually do continue to feel love for them.  And, most of the time, they DO make me gush... :)

Things I love, because I have no choice:

  • DMD
  • my minivan
  • threading 
  • vacations
  • finding smokin' hot grocery deals
  • dessert
  • hearing my kids laugh so hard they almost (or sometimes do) throw up
  • the internet
  • Sonic happy hour
  • pedicures
  • rainy days
  • sunny, crisp 70* days with no wind
  • texting
  • weekly zoo trips


Things I love, because I choose to:
  • my loud, messy house
  • my giant 15-passenger van
  • my job
  • exercise
  • potty training
  • cleaning

Things I absolutely hate:

  • bugs
  • my tupperware cabinet
  • the label printer in my office
  • managing our finances 

The things I hate, I have decided to do something about.  I hire an exterminator to come to my house every three months, without fail.  She has become almost like a part of our family, and the kids look forward to her visits (probably because she drives a huge truck and brings them stickers).  I have given the finances over to my husband (one of the reasons I choose to love him!!), and have never been happier!  I set up all of our bills on auto pay, and gave him a list of what comes out when, and he's doing great with it.  I spent a few hours figuring out another way to print labels at work, so I don't have to fight the label printer that's been in use by the church since 1983.  I promise, that printer is possessed by the Devil, and using it causes me to sin because I curse, yell, and throw a tantrum about it every single time.  I'm still working on a solution to the tupperware cabinet, but in the mean time-asking my husband to organize it every few months gives me another reason to love him ;)


Choosing to love,
Becky

2 comments:

Jenny said... Best Blogger Tips

True story about the label printer in our office. I say we take it out to the parking lot or a field and beat the crap out of it! (Office Space style, you know...with baseball bats)

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

That made me laugh so hard!!! YES!! We will have to do it at night, and tell KB we have no idea where it went...