"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent


This is one of those sorta weird things I picked up from somewhere on the world wide web.  It turns out, it's more common to make laundry detergent than I had originally thought!  There are recipes all over on blogs and homemaking websites.  This is the one I use:

1/3 bar Fels Neptha Soap
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Super Washing Soda
2 Gallons Water


Grate the 1/3 bar Fels Neptha into a sauce pan. Add about 6 cups water.  Bring to a low boil, stirring, until the soap is melted.



Add the Super Washing Soda and the Borax, stir until dissolved.  Add another 4 cups water, stir.  Pour into your 2 gallon container, top with water, stir.




I usually make several batches and fill as many containers as I can at one time. 

Use 1/2 cup per load.  This detergent will gel as it cools, so you should shake or stir it before you measure and add it to the wash.  I like using the empty detergent bottles because I can shake it up easily.  At first I was leaving a long mixing spoon next to that big container and stirring it up every time...a very funny thought now that I look back on it ;)

Some people add essential oils to theirs after it cools for scent...and I was doing that for awhile, but don't anymore.  I do miss the really fragrant laundry smell you get from TIDE or GAIN...but when I think about all the money I'm saving I get over it pretty fast!

When you do about 20 (ridiculous!) loads of laundry per week, you do what you gotta do!

Choosing to love,
Becky

0 comments: