"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, May 3, 2010

Is it internally or externally? Or both? Still stumped.

I follow my sister-in-law Stefanie's blog, and she challenged her readers to post and answer these questions:

When do you feel happiest?

When my house is organized and clean, and I'm out with my husband and children doing something fun! We go out regularly, clean house or not, to do fun things. It always makes me happy to share fun experiences with my family.  But, I'm at my happiest when I know we're not going to go home to a huge mess! 


How do you take care of yourself?

I often take a Cosmo magazine and a margarita (or two) into the bathroom with me and soak in the tub for an hour (or two).  Obviously this only happens in the middle of the night, usually on a weekend, when Mitch is working and there's little chance I'll be interrupted by a small child.  I also love to meet up with my sister, cousins and a few great friends for a good ole girls' night.  We don't get these scheduled often enough, which is why I resort to trashy magazines and alcohol in between.


Are you internally (by yourself) or externally (by others) motivated?

This is so tricky for me!  I feel like my first response would be internally.  But, maybe sometimes I'm motivating myself because of what I anticipate others will think or say about me.  So, is that externally in the end?  Maybe this isn't as difficult as I'm making it out to be...


What do you do for fun?

I think facebook is super fun, and I refuse to let it be anything else for me. I know a lot of people use it for business, debate politics, or get sucked into drama on facebook. We do use it for business (all 200 fans are holding their breath waiting for our next post, I'm sure!) but I refuse to post anything controversial, and I hide anyone even remotely dramatic!

I also think it's really fun to get smokin' hot deals at the grocery store. It honestly gives me something of a high when I save large amounts of money on stuff we actually need.   

What intimidates you?

People who are in better physical shape than me. I am paranoid that they look at my gut, and wonder if I could spare 10 minutes a day for a few crunches.



What is something you are proud of?

Staying married when everyone I knew (including myself at some level) thought I would/should get a divorce.  Doing the hard work it took to make my marriage the best it's ever been.  And, a couple years later being truly happy with my life, and 100% sure I made the right decision for myself and my family.

Finish this sentence. I never _____________.

...pump gas, mow the lawn, clean out gutters, put air in car tires, change the cat's litter box.

The "man" chores at our house are always, 100% of the time, taken care of by the man who lives at our house.   This is purely, without a doubt the choice of the man.  But, I will say I have never, not even once, complained!

The cat litter isn't a man's chore at all, and I am not really sure how I ended up getting out of it.  But, again, I'm not mentioning it...EVER.  

Favorite vacation spot.

We recently spent a long weekend in VEGAS (sans children), and I'd go back in a heartbeat.  Being the practical gal that I am, I enjoy a good weekend in Kansas City-which is a lot closer, cheaper, and has a lot of cool stuff to see and do.  We're totally pumped about our mini-vaca to Great Wolf Lodge in KC this summer!  Honestly, I'd stay alone at the Embassy Suites in downtown Lincoln for two days, eat takeout Chinese, and consider that a luxurious vacation.  It's called being low-maintenance!

Today is a (rate from 1 – 10)

If the worst day I ever had in my life was a 1, and the best day ever was a 10...what's a regular Monday?  Maybe a 7? 

I have decided to make every day enjoyable in some way, which is cliche and might sound like a romantic notion.  I do not want to look back in 20 years when my kids are grown and wish I wouldn't have taken it for granted, or wish I hadn't wished away the time, or wish I would have spent more time...  I also don't want my kids to look back in 20 years and remember a crabby, impatient, too-busy mom :)  Most days take care of themselves and are enjoyable just because...other days we require a run to Sonic at 3pm for happy hour, or a trip to the park to straighten everyone out!!
 

Finish this sentence. If you knew me really well you’d know _____________.

...I played Rugby for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln my freshman year. I'm not saying it was pretty, just that I was on the team!   If you don't know me well, you might think I was a really athletic person...but if you know me really well you'd know that it was completely out of character for me. Which is why I didn't go back the next year :)


So, there you go.  I usually absolutely despise these types of things, but I actually didn't hate it at all, even had a little fun ;)  Love ya Stef!

3 comments:

Mae said... Best Blogger Tips

Love ya too, Becky! Love your blog as well.

Dave Rowe said... Best Blogger Tips

I distinctly remember the Rugby days. I remember traveling to Kansas to see you play. I _also_ remember using it as a topic in speech class. Starting the speech by taping my ears certainly earned me the points in the 'grab attention' category.

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

You gotta tape the ears unless you want them to get ripped off in a scrum...
hahahahaha!!!

You totally crack me up!!