"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, May 24, 2010

Skinny Beach Club

So there are three issues. #1, I am obsessed with the Jimmy John's Beach Club. #2, I hate paying $5.50 for a sandwich, even if it does taste like what I imagine food in heaven will taste like. #3, I refuse to pay $5.50 for it and leave off the best parts-the french bread, and mayo (which contribute the majority of the calories).

I'm pretty confident I can make the french bread myself, and use a smaller bun, which will reduce the calories and cost.  I need a good recipe.

I have the ingredients to make the avocado spread, which doesn't look too tricky.

1 sm. Chili pepper
1 med. Onion
1 sm. Garlic clove
1 sm. Tomato, peeled
2 med. Ripe Calavo avocados
1 tbl. Fresh lemon or lime juice
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 dsh. Seasoned salt
1 dsh. Dry mustard



I need to find good turkey. 

I need to find a good-tasting, lower-calorie alternative to the mayo. 

I'd like to find cheaper sprouts.  Since I've never purchased sprouts before, (ridiculous, I know) I'm not sure what I should expect to pay.  I paid $2 for 4oz. last night at Super Saver.  Maybe four ounces will go farther than I think?? 



Hmmm....I'm working on it!

5 comments:

Stefanie said... Best Blogger Tips

I saw that some sprouts were recalled from Wal-Mart. Just an FYI. Would hate for you to get sick during your experimenting.

Dave Rowe said... Best Blogger Tips

A couple things.

1) When you create links, change the 'target' to '_new', and it'll open in a new window/tab so people stay on your blog, but can click the links.

2) I _love_ Kretschmar (sp?) turkey from the deli, freshly sliced, not the stuff that has been sitting out all day. They have it at Super Target, I don't think HyVee carries it.

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't think there is such an option in blogger, I have been trying to find it all along. Maybe I should have you log into my account and see??

I will be trying the Kretschmar turkey this week, great tip!!

P.S. you can always right-click on links and select "open in new tab", which I'm sure you know :)

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

Dave, check this out:
http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/2008/02/make-all-links-open-in-new-window.html

Right now it's the only way to do it in blogger.

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

PS-thanks for the turkey tip!!!!