"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Friday, May 21, 2010

Sweetness

"Can I lick that thing when we're done?"-Rugger. (He is referring to any thing that might still have dough/batter/frosting on it...be it a beater, spoon, or the entire inside of a bowl.)


First thing he asks any time we bake something.  Afternoons, when the little kids are napping, and it's a little cloudy and cool...our favorite time to bake. Cookies are the usual request, closely followed by banana bread.

The best part of baking with Rugger is watching him crack the eggs.  He has slowly discovered a method, and he concentrates very hard trying not to smash the shell into smithereens.


I have been counting down the days until school lets out for over a month now.  Actually, more like two months or more... I HATE sending my oldest chicken to school every day, all day.  We love her, we miss her, we can't wait until she's home with us for the summer.  Life is better, the days more complete, our mornings less rushed, our afternoons more carefree...

It hit me today, that I'm wishing away a part of the day I have loved so much this year...my afternoons alone with Rugger. 

Preschool was right for Ryleigh, and I don't regret sending her.  We didn't send her to Kindergarten until she was 6, so I felt like she was ready, and even needed some time away.  She loved preschool, and I think she loved her time at home more because she was gone a few times a week.  I know I appreciated the time she was home more, that's for sure :)

Since Rugger is going to Kindergarten when he's 5, he kinda has one less year at home.  I went back and forth trying to decide if I should send him to preschool...  I'm so happy I didn't.  He has the rest of his life to be in school.  This year has gone by so fast, and I've enjoyed every minute of our nap times together. 

In the end, after all that work getting that beater good and full of cookie dough and waiting sooo patiently, he just offered it to Rowen.  That kind of thing makes my heart melt.  And, I can't help but wonder-had we spent the year rushing back and forth to preschool, spending even more time in the van and less time together at home, would this little heart-melting incident have happened? Maybe.  I'll choose to think it wouldn't have.  I love being home, love being unbusy, unrushed, love seeing my little smoochies love each other to bits and pieces. 

**BIG SIGH** for babies growing up.

I wish I would have come to this conclusion sooner, but I'm not going to sit around and "shoulda, coulda, woulda".  For now, instead of 8 long days of school left waiting for summer, it's going to be 8 short afternoons left to hang with my biggest boy.

And we're going to love every minute.

Choosing to love,
Becky

2 comments:

Dave Rowe said... Best Blogger Tips

Feel free to bring some baked goodness to your favorite brother, any afternoon.

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

Ahh...makes me miss afternoons with Rugger too. =) You have GREAT kids! I can understand why you hate to send them off every day.
BTW - this song is one of my favorites!! I could sit here and read your blog over and over just to hear the song. ha!

-Misty