"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Houston...

we have some problems.

A few weeks ago I decided to try and make my own dishwasher detergent.  It hasn't been going great.  Well, actually making it was fine ;) but I'm not happy with my dishes:


This is a plate that's been through the dishwasher a few times with the new detergent.



This is a plate I just washed by hand.

They're old, and glass, but they're obviously collecting a lot of residue.  Any suggestions?  This is the recipe I used. 


And, we have weeds.  Darn it!  But the plants are getting bigger, hooray for that! 

Guess I know what I'm doing this evening!

And one final problem, Houston, if you can hear me...I already feel panicked that the summer is going too fast.  Slow 'er down, pretty please!!!  

Choosing to love,
Becky

4 comments:

Robyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Bummer about the dish soap. Our dishwasher is only 2 years old and I was kinda thinking that probably makes a difference in the ability for this homemade detergent to work well. I've found a few foods that I do still have to rinse off the dishes before I wash them, but for the most part it works well enough for me. Sorry it didn't work out.

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

I might just need to tinker with the mix. I haven't given up ;) I've tasted sweet freedom from the $6 box of cascade, and I can't go back!! HA!

Tami said... Best Blogger Tips

Put all of your glassware in the dishwasher, pour a bottle of vinegar in a big bowl that can be placed on the bottom rack somewhere. Run your dishwasher as normal. They SHOULD come out good as new.

Lynne said... Best Blogger Tips

Are you using the vinegar as a rinse agent as suggested? I've been doing that for quite a while because we have such hard water. I use the gel detergent packets as they are the only thing that seems to get my dished clean. But I fill the rinse agent spot with straight vinegar and it works great.

For the weeds - layers of newspapers around the plants work great to cut down on weeds. Several layers thick. Wet them down well. Cover with mulch of some sort - grass clipping are great. It helps.

As for summer going to fast - yah. Life too. Olivia is already 18 and I'm still in shock over that.