"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Friday, June 11, 2010

Something Old, Something New...

Something Borrowed, Something Blue!

In honor of my brother and his wife's 5th wedding anniversary today, a wedding themed post.  Maybe Ryleigh gets her cheesiness from me? :)  It's a stretch but I'm totally going with it...

Something Old:

This banana bread recipe is a Betty Crocker classic.  My mom baked it often when I was growing up, and I bake it weekly.  OK, sometimes twice a week.  I honestly buy more bananas than I predict we will eat every week so I have an excuse to make this bread.  We all love it.
 

3 over ripe bananas
1 cup white sugar
3-4 tbsp oil
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
dash salt


I just typed that out in the order in which I throw everything into my Kitchenaid mixer.  Also, this is just what I remember, I have long ago lost the actual recipe, so it might vary a little from what's actually in the book!  I use a glass loaf pan, and bake it at 350* for about an hour, maybe 70 minutes.  I have a tendency to under bake everything, usually on purpose.  Just ask my brother, Dave (Happy Anniversary!), who swears I just set things out in the sun instead of using the oven. 


Something New:

This fruit cobbler recipe is new to me, and I'm probably the last to know about it.  I just made it this morning, and it was delicious!  Yes, that's right.  It was delicious.  Meaning, we've already had some.  It may have been eaten before lunch.  Maybe. 


2 cans pie filling (I used apple, but you could use cherry, peach, blueberry...)
Classic yellow cake mix
1 can Sprite

Just dump the pie filling into  9X13 pan, sprinkle the cake mix over the top, then pour the entire can of soda over the whole thing.  For real?  Yes!  I baked it at 350* for about an hour. 

It's really sweet, which is the only thing stopping me from eating the entire thing right now. 




Something Borrowed:

Last summer I borrowed this book from my BFF and she and I convinced our husbands to just do it.  It took a lot of arm twisting, but they finally agreed.  Oh, wait.  That's not how it happened.  I believe the instant the words "100 days straight" and "sex" were used in the same sentence, they stopped listening and jumped on the Just Do It bus!  Does that sound weird?  It really wasn't.  In fact, it was so not weird that I'm posting it on the freakin' internet!!  I'm not saying it changed my life or revolutionized my marriage...but it was fun!!  I'm thinking about just doin' it again this summer.  I'm pretty sure my husband stalks this blog, and if he does I'll know when he comes home from work tonight.


Something Blue:


I read this post yesterday, and have been thinking about it ever since.  I would like to think that I put some thought into what I feed my family.  I made all my kids' organic baby food, and use whole grains, and don't serve much frozen or processed stuff, and...the list goes on and on.  (Until I come across a crazy good cobbler recipe!)  Then, I read something like this and feel like there's so much I don't know.  I could easily become obsessed!  So, I am going to relax.  I'm going to keep reading.  I'm going to trust God to protect my little smoochers from everything I don't know to protect them from myself. 

Choosing to love (and Happy Anniversary Dave and Stef!),
Becky

2 comments:

Stefanie said... Best Blogger Tips

Becky-- don't link Dave's blog. It scares people!
Loved this post and thanks for thinking of us today.

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

Hahaha, they should be scared! With a brain like his, he could probably take over the world ;)