"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Managing Many Mouths

It's a lot of work to feed the little kids in my house.  During the week there are 6-8 little, hungry, loud, impatient, wiggly kids eating breakfast!  I decided long ago that I would try and do for five (or 8 these days!) kids just as I would have done for one.  It ain't easy.  I get tired.  I get impatient.  I get overwhelmed.  Some days I just want to take the easiest, quietest route to bedtime.  

Thankfully my inner super-mom usually comes out and I figure out a way to get 'er done.

Here's how I do hot breakfast.  I don't have time to whisk up eggs and make french toast at 7am.  Especially on school days.  For goodness' sake! 


Make giant batches of french toast, waffles, pancakes...let them cool on a cookie sheet...


freeze on the cookie sheets...then load them into a Ziploc bag (or several) and stock the freezer.


I discovered that if I put them into the baggie warm, they'll freeze into a big mass and it's hard to pull out a couple at a time.

I actually use this method for freezing strawberries, meatballs, anything!  If you freeze them individually first, they won't stick together in the bag. I know, it's not rocket science but my mom didn't teach me this until a few years ago.  And, she's actually a scientist.  And, I lived with her for almost 20 years.  So, just giving you a head's up in case your mom was as stingy with the helpful nuggets as mine was.  (That was a joke mom, I love you.)

Turns out...our Kindergartner came home complaining that all her friends got to eat cereal for breakfast (she actually said "cold sugar cereal with milk") and she had to tell them her mom made her eat french toast that day.  What a MEAN mom!  Poor thing.  I bought a bag of sugar cereal that night and let her eat a bowl with milk for bedtime snack.  Then I asked her who the smartest kid in her class was.  She said she thought it was probably her (hey, nothing wrong with a good self esteem).  And I said, well, that's probably because you eat a healthy breakfast.  She didn't argue with me.   

For the record, I don't think you're a bad mom if you DO let your kid eat cold sugar cereal with milk for breakfast.  I just needed to say something to make myself look smart instead of mean. 

Choosing to love,
Becky

0 comments: