"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, July 19, 2010

Saturdays

My favorite Saturdays start on Friday nights.  My handsome husband usually has a gig, and I've come to look forward to the quiet late nights all to myself.  Once in a while, usually around 11pm after I've covered an entire Cosmo mag in the tub with a margarita...I'll decide that this Saturday, there will be cinnamon rolls. 

I found this recipe online, it's no secret, and it should be shared. 


I love that I printed it on the back of a sheet of music.  I can't remember doing it, but it's as if I thought-well, who knows, they might not turn out, I won't waste a new sheet of paper on it...which cracks me up.


They turned out.  And that sheet of paper has been laid on my buttery counter top, splattered with icing, wiped off, folded up, and put back into my recipe box several dozen times. 

Before I had a bread maker, I made the dough by hand and can't tell a difference in how they end up.  The machine just makes it a little easier ;) And, I'm all for making things a little easier!

Dough:
1 cup warm milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted margarine
4 1/2 cups bread flour (I use all-purpose or bread flour, don't notice much of a difference, even used part or all whole-wheat, they get eaten just as fast!)
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Let rise, then punch down, let rest for a bit, then roll out to about a 20" by 16" rectangle.

Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
2 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon

Spread filling over entire rectangle, roll, cut into 12 pieces.

I use a greased 9X13 glass pan...let rise again until about doubled.

Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden.


Icing:

3oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
dash salt

I usually only frost what we're going to eat right then...then save the icing in the refrigerator.  When I want to eat one the next day I warm only the roll, and then add the icing.  Otherwise, I feel like the icing gets too warm and runny from the microwave.


Um, yeah.  Yummy.


So if I'm doing it the night before, I'll roll them out, cut, and put into the pan...and let them rise again in the refrigerator.  If they're still pretty small in the morning, I just take the lid off and let them sit on the stove top for a few minutes while the oven is preheating.  This is actually probably the only way I do them, anymore.  Unless we're having them for dinner...with chili.  I can't even think about chili right now, it's so stinkin' hot outside!!

And, speaking of hot.  This particular Saturday, after our amazing breakfast ;) the girlies and I headed out into the blistering heat and suffocating humidity.  There's no place we'd rather be on the first and third Saturdays of the month than hanging out with Jacob's Well helping with their food distribution. 



I usually spend the entire 3 hours with tears in my eyes and a huge lump in my throat.  Totally thankful for all that I have, completely humbled by people's gratefulness, and appreciative of an opportunity to serve God by helping others.  Hanging out with good friends and family, and spending time with my little ladies is just icing on the cake (or cinnamon roll).  

 

I can't even tell you how blessed the world is to have my cousin Mark in it.  He has a heart of gold.  He has a lot of equally amazing people helping him, and these are the people I want my kids to grow up around.   


Ryleigh can't understand why some people have more, others less, why we can't all just share with each other and make sure everyone has enough.  I hope she never loses that selfless, generous heart she was born with.

She can read.  So this particular Saturday after nearly sweating ourselves silly, we were enjoying our air conditioned van and passed a man on the corner with a cardboard sign.  "HOMELESS...ANYTHING HELPS"...mom, we don't have anything in here to give him...but we have an extra seat, can we give him a ride to the food truck?.  Well, the food truck was long gone by then, and it's not safe to give rides to strangers...um, God will keep us safe from him, won't He? Oh, Lord, how do I answer that?? Well, God gives us common sense and intuition.  Moms have really good intuition, and mine tells me it's not safe to give rides to strangers.  Let's go home and pack him a bag of water and food... and then we'll come back, and can I be the one to give it to him? 

I just have one question...where do they get the paper and marker to make their signs??

I love her.  She's so simple.  There is a man who needs something.  Let's share what we have.  Done.

Awesome Saturday.

Choosing to love,
Becky

3 comments:

Robyn said... Best Blogger Tips

This is my 'go to' cinnamon roll recipe too. LOVE IT! It's super yummy.

Aunt Cia-Cia said... Best Blogger Tips

Ryleigh "gets it"! Love her so much. And the rest of the kids too. They are a shining light in a neighborhood that needs to be brightened up a bit!

Heidi said... Best Blogger Tips

oh, i love...

choosing to love!

those look YUMMY!