"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Curriculum

Weird that I didn't realize how many teacher friends I had until I decided to be sort of one myself!  So fun.  So helpful!  Here is what I have ordered, especially for their curiosity :) 

Math:
I went with Singapore for Rugger and Ryleigh.  I actually like Math U See better, because I like hands-on better, in general.  But, Mitch feels really strongly that we should keep things in line with how they'd be taught in public school so that if/when they go back they won't be learning a new method.  And, I think that's really a smart idea.

Science:
Everywhere I turned I heard about Apologia for science.  I am really a very visual person.  And, if the cover of a book seems dated or ugly to me, I am just turned WAY off.  For some reason, these book covers don't do anything for me.  They aren't necessarily ugly or dated.  I'm not sure what it is, exactly.  I know it's completely irrational and ridiculous, but what can I say?  Anyway, I got past the cover issues I was having, and ordered zoology

Reading:
This was really tricky for me.  Rugger wasn't hard to figure out.  He's so normal.  Ryleigh is so not normal when it comes to reading.  So, I chose Explode The Code.  I had to basically buy a set of K books, and then a set of 3rd/4th grade books.  My thinking is, if the 3rd grade stuff is too easy, which I assume it will be, I can always just keep it for Rugger to use in a few years.  And, I don't want to go straight to 4th grade and be stuck with nothing if it turns out we need 3rd. 

History:
Gross.  Just typing the word "history" makes me yawn and feel the need to crack open an ice cold diet Mountain Dew.  So, I decided we were going to just dive in and see how it goes.  After much obsessing, I went with The Story of the World.  I plan to pool together as many resources as I can to make sure what I'm presenting is true.  Who knows, I might actually end up enjoying it!  Maybe history at the K level is just what I need :)

I'm still looking for the best way to start Spanish.  I need to do some more research.  The price range is $55-$1200+ per YEAR!  I just can't figure out what the difference is, and there has to be a difference for that price!  I did buy an area rug with lots of Spanish words on it, which I'm sure will get us through the first semester.  (THAT WAS A JOKE...)   :) HA!  Well, I actually did buy the rug, but I'm kidding about it being part of the curriculum. 

Well, I'm off to scour craigslist for student desks.  That lady never got back to me, so I'm looking for plain ol' desks that we can paint ourselves! 

Choosing to love,
Becky

2 comments:

Stefanie Rowe said... Best Blogger Tips

Good Grief, Becky! Have you slept in the last WEEK?!? You have done a ton of research! I'm sure it feels good to have it all ordered and on it's way. Now you can relax and enjoy a few more days of summer!!

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW Becky! You are so organized! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you and the kids! I bet it is going to be awesome!