"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Friday, August 27, 2010

The Lasts

We have entered a season of "the lasts".  The last warm days.  The last late nights.  The last summer swim.  The last trip to the sprayground.  The last Jacob's Well block party.  Sigh.

Ryleigh put herself in charge of a chair at the face painting table. 


Reise and Maeson did their fair share of painting...themselves, each other, Rowen, me.




I drove home looking like this. 


A nice looking college-aged girl was allowing my kids to paint on her arm, so I felt obligated to let them paint on mine.  It's all fun and games until you're smearing it all over before those thick globs finally dry.  :) 

Rugger put himself in charge of cutting the tops off people's ice pops. 


Basically a clever way for him to have free access to the ice pops all night.  Somehow he managed to eat almost 3 hot dogs as well.  The last 1/2 of his 3rd hot dog was pretty much ripped out of his hands and given to his little screaming brother.  Don't worry, he had ANOTHER hot dog with a bun when we got home.  This was after he ate dinner at home before the party.  Lord, please return before these boys eat me out of house and home.

Speaking of the screaming brother...hello, MOLARS. 


Thank you, Lord.  Molars mean that this phase of short-tempered ridiculousness, with the screaming, crying, whining, ETC. will end eventually.  Then, he can return to his normal naughty, spoiled, two-year-old self.  YES!!!  I could cry, I'm so happy.  Never mind the bruise on my finger after being bitten this afternoon, which led me to check for the molars in the first place.


Rowen was feeling pretty good about his interactions with Jake The Dog.  And, I think Jake is smiling in this picture.



We'd never seen these lanterns before.  I thought it would be very Stuff Christians Like style to pin a meaningful note on each of the lanterns before they went up.  My cousin, Jenny, thought it was a very funny idea. 


Her mother, my Aunt Marcia, looked at me like I had grown another head.  I don't think she was offended, I think she just had no idea what I was talking about.  HA!


The last bits of summer.  Sad.  But, that just means we're entering a season of firsts, right?  The first football party is just a week away.  Who cares about the game?  Not me.  Sorry, Husker Nation, I know I'm just asking to have my house egged for even thinking that.  I fully participate in the party portion of football season! :)

Choosing to love,
Becky

5 comments:

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcia said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE you Becky! I couldn't hear your idea because I am deaf--which is a God-smack in and of itself, but I think your idea was a GREAT one. Thanks for being there and for blogging about it. You are an awesome writer--fo sho! (That is me talking after being at the block party)

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

I was just telling mom last night that you threatened to send Rowen home with me and it made me wonder if he was getting molars. It's a relief to know that it's only temporary. I need to check Jacob's eye teeth. Maybe I'll get lucky too! =)

And on the Huskers - I'm so excited the game is at 6! Bring on the game food! Who needs to lose weight?! ha!

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

Feeling your pain with the molars...AND the football. The parties are what it's all about. You are right.

Nan said... Best Blogger Tips

ummm....check out my tan lines!!!! love that jake the dog made the blog world. he was such a good dog with all the kids!