"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Late night homeschooling thoughts

We are so blessed to have family and friends who care about us, inspire us to be better parents, support us, question us, and forever look out for our kids' best interest.  Thank you for chiming in here, and on facebook, email and text.  Thank you for making us think and helping to fuel our discussions.  Hem. Haw. Pray. Talk. Hem. Haw. Pray pray pray pray. "Please God, do not let us screw up our sweet chickens!!"  :)






We're homeschooling.  This year.  Rugger said "can I still keep my new lunch box?" and that was about it.  Ryleigh chewed on it for a day, and then asked if she could do e-mail during home school.  I said "great idea" and got her set up right away.  She had a full-on email conversation with my mom today that I was completely unaware of.  When I read through it later, I laughed so hard I cried.  My girl is brilliant and hilarious, and can now change the font and color of her text, and include emoticons in her messages.  And she was so relieved when I showed her how to make capital letters, because how embarrassing is that to send off e-mails with all lower case letters!?  Seriously, mom.  She also asked for a cell phone which I didn't even respond to :)


I am no longer worried about getting my kids enough socializing.  They are very social people.  And, they've always been.  And, they've never been in a huge daycare or involved in lots of activities.  They've been at home.  With me.  Social is just how we do life.  Ditching school will only give us more freedom to spend our evenings and weekends doing t-ball, swimming, dance, art, gymnastics, BMX, whatever we want to do.  I've been hesitant to start down that road of constantly revolving practices and games and recitals.  But with our schedule suddenly a little less tied up...


It might not be a perfect fit.  I don't think there is a perfect fit.  There's going to be a "con" in every school situation out there.  Public school: too crowded, bad influences, hit or miss on a good teacher.  Private school: too expensive, too bubble-ish, hit or miss on a good teacher.  Home school: too bubble-ish, questionable teacher ;)


And, it's not necessarily forever, and nothing's written in stone.  If the kids hate it, or I hate it, or we feel like it just isn't a good enough fit, good ol' LPS is still there waiting for us.  I am a graduate of LPS and I think I turned out just fine :)  Actually, I think LPS has a great record of happy parents and successful students overall!  Our kids would go to a great school with wonderful teachers.  I'm not mad at LPS in any way.  I just wonder if we can do better.  I happen to be in the position to try it since I'm already home, and I have the desire.  So, why not give it a shot?  All I know is, this is what we're going to do for now, and we'll just see where it goes.

Tell me doing your school work in this wouldn't get your creative juices flowing!

Please reply to my e-mail, craigslist poster, I want to buy this from you! :)  




We will not allow our children to live in a bubble.  In fact, we'll probably run (screaming) in the opposite direction of anything that even remotely resembles a bubble. 

Maybe we'll even start watching TV!  Hmmm...or, not. 

Maybe we'll just keep going out and interacting with real live people.  Certainly they still exist outside of the school building!  :)  Ha!  I hope you take that as lightheartedly as I intended it to be.  I love TV, and I don't think school is evil.  I enjoyed my years in school (although I don't remember many details).  I am newly obsessed with The Office.  I never even thought it was funny until about a month ago.  Now, I actually block out 10-11pm every night to watch the reruns.  We just don't make much time in the day for TV.  Maybe during naps.  But, now we'll be doing school then :)


And, I know it's going to be a lot of work.  I have been obsessing over curriculum and losing sleep and I know I'll look back on this one day and laugh...but, right now it's so daunting.  You can buy curriculum at Wal-Mart!  Really?  Yes!  How do I know what's going to work for us?  Do I have time for trial and error right now?  Maybe it's not really that big of a deal.  I'm kind of just waiting for something to jump out at me, but a little afraid that nothing will.  Pray pray pray pray pray. 


Homeschooling will not define us.  Just like diabetes doesn't define Ryleigh.  And epilepsy doesn't define Rugger.  And thumb-sucking doesn't define Reise.  (Unless she hasn't given it up by the time she gets married and moves out.)  And on and on and on..  


It's just another small slice of our great big life.

Choosing to love,
Becky

8 comments:

Marcia said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE you Becky and I think you ARE and will be a GREAT teacher! I remember at least 2 of my kids (I think it was the boys) BEGGING me to homeschool them. I couldn't do it past the preschool years because I HATE math and science and stuff, so I didn't. If this feels right to you, then GO for it! Have fun and enjoy the adventure you are about to embark on!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I think that is awesome! :-) I have a few friends that homeschool there children. I think you can do anything you set your mind to. I will pray for you and for them. You are a wonderful mom and amazing. Have a great day! Amy Buss

LaoLao said... Best Blogger Tips

OK...here's LaoLao's take on this...Becky, you're already home-schooling, not only your kids but several others. You just need to get off the home-school fence...organize your curriculum and go for it. You ARE one of the best Moms ever, and you'll BE a wonderful home-school teacher. In fact, I think I (Lao) suggested this before Ryleigh started school...given Ry's health concerns. Now with Rugger's health concerns added in, it's even a better idea. And as a reminder, we, Pao & I, PRAY every day for all of our family...and we'll continue to do that. Please know that we're as close as a phone call away for encouragement and help in any way we can be. We are so proud of you and your family! Love...love...love!

PaoPao said... Best Blogger Tips

Pao read the above comments...he says, "Ditto"

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

I think this is going to be a GREAT adventure for you AND your kids! You're going to learn so much about them and they're going to learn so much about YOU! Like you said, there are other options if it doesn't work out. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought and prayer into the situation. Good luck! Can't wait to read about your progress! Very exciting!

Jenny said... Best Blogger Tips

Did you get the desk?! And where is that loaf of bread with the knife in it from? Lone Star?

Lynne said... Best Blogger Tips

I can help you link to the Nebraska core content standards by grade level if you'd like. That will put you ahead of half the certified teachers in the state as we're just starting to work on them with the schools.

Best wishes on your new adventure. Or, continuing adventure as Lao said. :-)

Ellie said... Best Blogger Tips

Stef asked me awhile ago to chime in on the home schooling topic and I am sorry to say I am just getting to it! I was home schooled from 2nd grade until 7th. I think it was a great experience and taught me so many great life lessons! I learned to be independent and to get things done on my own. These were really helpful traits when I did go back to public school. The only thing that I would caution is that when I did go back to public school I put myself on a pedestal. I thought that since I was home schooled I was better than everyone else. I thought I was smart and I didn't drink or date boys and had good character. I think I wasted a lot of time judging others and that is the only caution I feel should be taken into consideration when home schooling. We are still people and not perfect. I think I ruined a lot of my witness when I first went back to public school but I think this can be avoided if you can just be aware of it. Good luck and God bless you on this journey. Ellie