"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Friday, August 13, 2010

Bye Bye, Summer

We celebrated our anniversary on Sunday, sans children, cleaning (and talking, and making out, and eating)  It was perfect.

Then, we spent our entire Friday evening (5 days later) cleaning bedrooms (again), because that's just how we roll.  We get about 3 days, max, of tidy rooms before all *&^% breaks loose under the beds again.  I have no idea how it happens.  Well, I have some idea.  I think it has to do with the small army of tiny children that live in our home.   

Anyway...  We still wanted to do something fun on our actual anniversary, so we took the kids to a movie. 


It's seriously 100*+ outside, what else is there to do?? 


First we stopped and picked up the glasses.  This is a horrible picture of Ryleigh.  "Nerd Alert!" is what her loving father would say.  But, I love the lady in the background.  She was smiling at us the entire time, like she loved getting to be a part of the "first time we picked up glasses for our child" day.  It was sweet.


The glasses have been no big deal.  Everyone loves the case.  It snaps shut.  Small things entertain us, I guess.


Then we settled in to the air conditioned theater for a little family movie.  There was a lot of popcorn, and a lot of fruit punch.  When my handsome, helpful, loving husband returned with the 44oz. fruit punch I was a little alarmed but said nothing (which is unusual for me!).  He offers up the explanation that "it's no caffeine, no carbs".  Hmmm...I'm interested, and a little skeptical and very proud of myself for NOT asking!  One hour later, he comes back from getting his own drink refilled, and says "actually that punch is no caffeine, no carbonation"...whoops!  I laughed out loud, really loud.  Oh, well.  I'm sure there was enough popcorn consumed in between gulps of sugary red dye #40 to soften the blow.


Fun night out.

Nothing beats a quiet night in.


I love how it starts like this, everyone lined up...but then turns slowly into a mass of tangled up squishy toddler skin.

Bedtime has been a mess lately.  Too many late nights, just trying to squeeze the last bits of summer out while we can.


Too many long morning play dates, late lunch, late, long naps.


It's been a blast.  I don't regret any of it.  We'll never get these days back.  Long, fun, busy days spent with awesome friends.



This small boy is the main problem.  Mitch says he's spoiled rotten.  I might finally agree.  What can I say?  It is almost impossible for me to deny that sweet little face "one more milk mama".  Especially when I know he'll follow it up with "thank you so much". 


It's sad, but it's time.  For real.  We are getting back into our regular routine.  Shorter mornings, early lunch, early naps, early dinner, early to bed.  Everyone's happier in the end.  Bye bye, summer.





Clean bedrooms + sleeping chickens = a great way to end one last week of summer.

Choosing to love,
Becky

6 comments:

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

aahhhh Becky, I love it. love everything about that blog! put a big smile on my face. :)

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the semi-naked bedtime book reading! That's how we do it, too! You have such a nice little family. Love your daughter's new glasses, too!

yorkrih1 said... Best Blogger Tips

I love that Reise has no shirt for bed but a lovely bracelet. Priorities. :) Keep up the great work Becky! You make me wish I could rewind and start motherhood over. For just a minute. :-)

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

Reise would pick accessories over clothes any day of the week, so funny! :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Know what I'm loving? The fantastic, clear, close-up pics...love them all; the eyes, the toes, all of it...so glad you got the camera you did. Becky, (in your spare time???) you could earn so much as a professional photographer!!! LaoLao

Heidi said... Best Blogger Tips

i LOVE the bed photo. i would so frame that one.

and i think ry looks adorable in those glasses. she pulls them off perfectly. movies with all the kids sounds like so much fun. you make me want to call all my friends and have a huge movie theater play date.