"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

JDRF Garage Sale

Every year, a few days before when we're pulling box after box out of my garage, we say "why do we do this to ourselves?".  The Thursday before the sale it seems like a ridiculous idea.  There is so much stuff, and it's packed into my garage so tight you can't walk through it.  


"Many hands make light work". 


Next thing I know, it's 6:30 on Saturday morning.  The stuff is all lined up, organized and tagged.  Well, most of it.  The kids are up, dressed, and munching on donuts.


There are three things my kids remember about "the garage sale" every year.  #1 They get to eat donuts for breakfast.  #2 They get to drink pop.  #3 Their family and friends come to hang out for a full day.  Who wouldn't look forward to that?!



This year our nephew Drew brought his little popcorn machine.  It was a hit!


Fairies ride bikes across the street.



Daredevils learn how to stand up on bike pegs.


Blink twice, and it's lunch time already.


My husband has an amazing family, and I've been blessed to be a part of it for almost 15 years.  Crazy how time flies!  They always make me feel like I ended up doing nothing.  Basically, I just sit and watch the garage sale go down!  Lunch-taken care of.  Signs-taken care of.  Sorting, tagging-done.  Kids-occupied all day long. 


 And, when it was all said and done we'd raised over $500 to donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  This year we donated a lot of leftovers to the Salvation Army.  We're listing a lot of it on craigslist.  (**Update-total more than $1000 with craigslist sales!)  I love craigslist!  I'll love it more when I have reclaimed my garage again :)

Thank you to everyone who donated items for us to sell.  It's crazy how all those little bits and pieces add up to a few hundred dollars in a day.  

And, a huge thank you to my garage sale team, we couldn't have done it without you.  See you next year? :)

Now, I'm moving on to the t-shirts.  I think we're going CAMOUFLAGE this year...stay tuned.
Choosing to love,
Becky

1 comments:

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great thing you do each year! I have to say, though, I'm tired just from looking at the pictures;)