"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Proud Mama Moment

I love all my kids.  Equally.  Most of the time.  I joke that I have a favorite.  Some days I do have a favorite :)  Not really.  Really, it amazes me, but I don't.  Equal.  All the time.

Today I got to love my girl Ry all by herself for an hour, and I could have been persuaded during that hour, that she was my favorite.


That hour had been prepared for carefully.

She was asked to give a presentation about her life with diabetes.  My aunt Roxy works for a big law firm in Lincoln, and the lawyers she works with donate generously to JDRF every year.  They wanted to put a face to diabetes, and a cuter face could not have been found :)

So, we wrote a 3-page presentation.  We practiced, practiced, practiced.  We condensed it to note cards, which made her so mad she said I was the worst mom ever, and she wished they had never picked her.  She cried, moaned, groaned, gnashed her teeth...it got fairly ugly at one point. 


In the end, a sweeter child with a more tender heart could not have been found.  She went off the script, she got so comfortable.  Her sweet, confident, steady voice was music to my ears.

She said things like "if you have diabetes, you better have a really good mom, because they have to do a lot of stuff...", which made me cry.

And, "if you want to walk with us this year, you should give my mom your t-shirt size...", which made me laugh.

And she was so articulate.  And poised.  And mature.  "I can eat anything, really, as long as I know how many carbohydrates the food has", which made me so so so very proud.  

Thank you for inviting us, Roxy, what a great experience! 

"Well, it was really nice being here, thank you for having me!"  Seriously?  I'm pretty sure everyone in the room melted a little bit when she pulled that out.  I. Love. Her.


She was so proud of herself, and it was such a good learning experience.  I know she's not used to being pushed, and this was hard for her.  Being successful in the end is so much more rewarding when it requires some sweat, blood and tears.  For this girl, that's exactly what it felt like, and she got a taste of that success today.   

With our first "official" week of home schooling almost behind us, I know we're doing the right thing.  For now, for us, this is so very right.

Choosing to LOVE,
Becky

9 comments:

Marcia said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so proud of you Ryleigh! You are an amazing little girl. Bless your heart!
I love you.
Aunt Cia-Cia

The Neujahr's said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww made me tear up!

Robyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Yeah. I might be a little emotional right now, but that just made me cry. Ryleigh (as well as all your kids) is/are such sweeties. You have wonderful kids, which is the result of great parents and parenting!

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

I love that I have such great family and friends, who love my kids!

Nan said... Best Blogger Tips

she looks SO grown up!! so proud of you both!

LaoLao & PaoPao said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my goodness...just reading this (we're in Kirkland, Washington the next 4 days) and we're bursting with "pride"...we know...if that's a sin, we're so guilty! Ryleigh...and all you other Sallinger kids, make us proud Gr-Grands. Love you all, Lao & Pao

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Becky-to hear the Ryleigh was so humbled by her big day is AWESOME!!! What a mature little girl you have on your hands. You know we don't always understand why things happen but it seems that God very much intended for this girl to use her experience and bring awareness! You should be very proud! And I know you are.
Jen

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

What a smart, kind little girl you have! I'm proud of her and I don't even know her! Good job, mama!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on bodystocking lingerie crotchless.
Regards
Here is my page :: forex signal provider