"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, October 18, 2010

GO BIG RED

It's probably safe to say that the majority of the people who live in this state are crazed over our college football team.  I am in the minority.  It's not that I'm a hater, I just don't really care.  I don't hate football, and I don't hate the University of Nebraska.  In fact, I graduated from UNL and I enjoyed my time there.  I even lived on campus, and spent a year busting underage drinkers and pot smokers as a Resident Assistant in Smith Hall.  I sacrificed my body and broke a girl's nose playing NU Club Rugby.  I put in my time, enjoyed myself, and have fond memories.  But, I couldn't care less about the football team!  I'll go to a game if I'm given a ticket, and I'll wear red, get all swept up in Husker Nation, and have a blast.  But forgive me if I have no idea who we're playing before we get to the stadium.

I will make sure that the children have Husker t-shirts and sweatshirts, because you just never know what you'll need this time of year.  But,  knowing who's playing and when they're playing and when we should all wear the appropriate sports gear out in public is the Daddy's job.  And, he does a great job of it. 



The last Farmer's Market of the year, the weather was to die for, and my handsome husband was able to join us.  Perfect. 



We represented the Huskers and the St. Louis Cardinals.  Guess how many people commented on the Cardinals gear!?  Evidently Lincoln, NE is where the St. Louis residents come to get their farm fresh produce. 






 Reise looks exhausted here!  Probably because all five kids slept together in a tent the night before. 




Rugger helped Lao Lao out at the Food Distribution for Jacob's Well.  Just practicing his cutting skills, no big deal :)  He's so good he can use them upside down, see?  He kills me!






These two can't just play normal "catch".  Rugger has to climb up and throw the football down from the fort.  Rowen can't get enough.  I. Love. Them.




So, I don't carry the 2010 season schedule around in my purse.  And, I don't know if we're ranked or who the starting quarterback is.  But, I will dress the kids appropriately and ask Rugger for the score now and then.  He's listening to the game on his Walkman, and we're out doing some early Christmas shopping while the stores are empty (because the rest of the town is at the game!). 

Choosing to love,
Becky

3 comments:

LC said... Best Blogger Tips

Cute pics...I recognize that clown...it's my mom!

Mandy Barkhaus said... Best Blogger Tips

Becky- I went to the Carrie Underwood concert last night and sat right in front of Taylor Martinez (QB for NU). I had NO idea why there were lines of people wanting to take a picture with this guy (and chanting go big red and screaming his name). My friend I was with had to tell me who he was and why he was so popular. I couldn't believe all the people around this guy. He had several security guards with him! I don't get it either. I took a lot of pictures for people though!

Jenny said... Best Blogger Tips

Your kids are just so stinking cute, love all the husker gear!