"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rose Colored Lenses

This was the conversation my handsome husband and I had yesterday before we put the tree up:

Him: I can't believe we caved and bought a fake tree.  It's just not really Christmas without the real one.

Me: Really?  You miss that?

Him: Don't you?

Me:  No.  I don't miss hauling five kids out on the coldest, windiest night of the year and sitting with them in the van while you went out and picked the tree.  Definitely don't miss keeping the kids out of the way while you hauled the tree up the stairs into the living room leaving a blanket of needles on the carpet as you went, only to remember that the end of the trunk needs to be sawed off.  Then, not being able to find the *#&% saw after you hauled it all the way back down.  Sure don't miss having to declare a free cuss day before we even got started.  Do I miss getting covered in sap and nearly losing eyes from needle pokes so I could hold the tree straight while you screwed the trunk into the stand?  No.  Altho, I do still laugh about the time we had to drill holes into the trunk in order to get the screws in.  I sure don't miss waking up in the middle of the night to a giant crash and sappy water covering the carpet after the cat climbed the tree and knocked it over.  Nor do I miss taking apart the vacuum every week due to needle clogs.  Not to mention, the two children who are allergic to trees will easily be more comfortable this December.  Yep, pretty sure I'm going to be just fine with our gorgeous fake tree.

Him:  Whatever, why are you so negative?


I love our new tree.  It was totally worth the wait, and the early morning day-after-Christmas shopping it required last year to get it 75% off.  I wonder why he isn't laughing about us getting the van stuck in a two-foot snow drift behind Shopko that morning?  That was easily as funny as having to rig the tree up with fishing wire and ropes that year the trunk was so crooked we couldn't keep it from falling over any other way. 


The branches are on hinges, so it just collapses down into itself and takes about 3 minutes to put together.  And, it's pre-lit!  Can you hear the angels singing?  Glory!!


It's super tall and skinny, perfect for our small living room.  I couldn't be happier!



What a relaxing afternoon of football and tree decorating.  No vacuuming, no steel wool required to scrub the sap off my fingers, no cussing...and the neighbors will appreciate that we won't have a dead, brown, dried up tree leaning up against the side of our house until mid-March this year. 

Gosh, I can't WAIT to put the lights up outside, which is almost as fun as getting a real tree.  Almost. 

Choosing to love,
Becky

8 comments:

Jenny said... Best Blogger Tips

That tree is gorgeous!!! Nice work!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Great story!! Becky I love your spin on life and all the realisms that actually exist in everyone's life. Just so grateful that you are so open to sharing. It makes the rest of feel real. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving---FYI I agree with the fake tree concept! Jen Luhr

The Neujahr's said... Best Blogger Tips

Your tree is so tall! Love reading your blog!

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

We're going for the real tree this year, after years of having a fake one, so I had to SKIP your convo with your husband. LOL. I'm NOT being talked out of it, darnit!! Your tree looks great-hope you all had fun!

Rachel said... Best Blogger Tips

Great tree pics!

We used to have a fake tree, but over the last few years we've gone back to having a real one. And a dead one on the side of the house as well...

Jenny said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful tree! I'm so jealous! My hubby won't cave yet and every year we go through the same routine as you described! Oh well, guess it smells good but hoping for a fake next year! :)

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

Aaron and I had a real tree ONE year and he swore never again. I'm with Mitch...I want my kids to experience a real tree. He said he never did and turned out just fine. At least your kids a had a few years of it! =)

Tiffany said... Best Blogger Tips

LOLing about the dead tree up against the side of the house! Wasn't there a year that I came over w/ my dead tree and picked up yours and took them to a tree recycle place? I like the tall fake one too!