"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

SIX


I can't believe my big boy is already six.  Seems like just yesterday we were a family of three, waiting for Rugger to be born.  He was a week overdue and I really wondered if we'd be spending Christmas day in the hospital!



I remember Jenny and John coming over the night I was in labor (but didn't really know it) to give Ryleigh a Christmas present (a little boy baby doll and a doll stroller!).  My sister spent the night that night.  She was getting married in a week, and was in town visiting her fiance.  My dad would call every morning she was in town, just to make sure she did indeed make it to my house at some point to sleep.  HA!


I fell asleep and woke up at 5am because Ry wanted someone to come lay with her.  I had no idea I was in pain until I tried to haul myself out of her bed around the toddler rail.  I remember thinking "this is the very last time I will ever do this as a mother to one". 


Turns out I was 8-9 cm dilated at that time, NICE!  That's the way to do it, I'm telling you.  The nurses laughed out loud when they realized I arrived just in time to have a baby.  Crazy, crazy, crazy...that it's been six years since that night.    


So sad, the poor birthday boy woke up at 3am today choking up his bedtime snack :(  He's a trooper.  Told me this morning that he is actually not sick because he only threw up twice.  That's not sick.  I went ahead and canceled our dinner plans anyway, and he's pretty bummed.  Somehow I can't imagine he'll feel like eating spaghetti already tonight.  Then again...this is RUGGER we're talking about. 

Thankfully we celebrated with his friends over the weekend...what a riot!


I know I've said this a hundred times, but I L.O.V.E. that big van!  How else could we haul 13 kids around for a birthday party?  Awesome.  So, so, so, fun.  The four "big" boys in the very back seat were having a little too much fun, we think.  At one point the coats were off and we could see a muscle flexing contest going on.  



 Pretty much, all the boys looked like Camden by the end: completely beat.




Like a bunch of sardines :)


Ryleigh had a minor meltdown when she realized there was "basically no one to play with".  Oh, dear.  (Reise got along just fine, thankyouverymuch!  HA!)  We decided that it was pretty uncharacteristic of Ry to act so selfish like a typical 7-year-old girl, and ignored it until she got over herself.  Although, we couldn't help but laugh when she said "just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you're the STAR".  Well, actually.....yes, it does.  :)  She redeemed herself by asking to be woken up early so she could wish Rugger a happy birthday right away today.  That's kind of a big deal for a girl who loves to sleep in.  :)

Since I have an unexpected day off from daycare, I'm going to try and get a lot done today.  We'll see how that goes :)  Laying in bed watching Star Wars sounds pretty good to me right now, too.


Happy Birthday to my hilarious, unique, sensitive, fun-loving, sweetheart.  I could not love you more.  XOXO, Mommy

1 comments:

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

Happy Birthday to your little boy. What a sweet post!

And Merry Christmas to you and your family. I love reading about all of your adventures!