"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

New Spot.

Took the wild crazy beasts children to a new spot today.  Well, I should say, the spot isn't new (I think Morrill Hall is celebrating their 140th anniversary, in fact!) but I hadn't ever taken my kids.  When I told the kids we were going to a dinosaur museum, I think half of them assumed it would be much like going to the zoo.  With live animals.  Imagine their surprise when nothing in the entire building was moving :)  It was a fun morning!  I forgot my camera, which was kind of nice.  One less thing to keep track of, and it turned out there was a lot of keeping track of going on today.  That place is full of wide open space which was really, really, really hard not to run through!

Some quick phone pics:



 How many hours could we stand here and watch loose change roll into this bin?  I would bet, several.

When I was a kid, they had an area where you could go to "dig" for fossils.  You'd find a little tiny fossil and you could tape it to a piece of paper and take it home.  No longer!  They have a larger digging area now, and the kids had fun.  It just wasn't the same :)
 








This is what I like to see.  Rowen and Maryn, courting.  

Of course we'd find a stage and put on a show or two while we were here!  That's just how we roll.


See Reise's face?  In the next split second, Reise started to cry because no one wanted to perform her number, and we decided it was time to leave.

Have we talked about the Stringbeans song we're listening to about Nebraska?  I think we have.  There's a part in it... "Our Woolly Mammoth fossil, is the largest ever found..." so, we got to see that.  And, we ran across a Meadowlark, which is the state bird (and also featured in the song), so that was fun!  

It was a great morning, and we'll go back.  There's a Planetarium there, and they have shows on the weekends.  Ryleigh is really interested in outer space right now, and I think she would love it.  It's super affordable for the whole family to go, so I think we just might do that very soon.

In the meantime, we're going to be making fossil prints out of coffee grounds and flour.  I love homeschool! :)

Choosing to love,
Becky

3 comments:

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

i love home school too! I am so jelly, you have so much fun with your kiddos! You are great at what you do becky, i have to give you props (right now my kids are screaming at each other chasing around the living room with cheese balls and monster trucks, fighting) i never hear of these things at your house! LOL

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

Tori, if you could hear how loud I'm laughing right now you'd die! I just said in a really mean-mom voice "If I find toys in the kitchen today, I'm throwing them AWAY!" This was after I sent the boys to their room for fighting during breakfast! I'm going to take a pic of every crying kid and every mess in my house today and post it just for you. You'll be so relieved you don't live here :) HA HA HA HA!

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

glad to know my children are not the only ones who don't pick up their toys and fight!! i will look forward to the bad stuff post! LOL...i love your blog!