"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, January 17, 2011

This is good stuff.

It feels good, to have this much family around.  I know I take it for granted most of the time. 

 Photo by Dave Rowe, my new photography club buddy (aka, my brother)!  


Every time we leave somewhere (anywhere) I ask each kid what their favorite part was.  Rugger's usually has to do with the food, Ryleigh usually says "everything", Rowen and Maeson copy whatever Ryleigh says, and Reise's answer is never predictable.   Unless, we've been around a baby.  Then it's always "holding the baby".  Last night was no exception.  She loves, loves, loves her baby Dominick!!

I love, love, love this scene.  It's noisy, but not deafening.  It's comfortable.  Kids ask whoever is nearest to them for more food, water, silverware, etc.  Babies are passed, there's a lot of up and down, and the adults usually eat standing up.  These days, the kids occupy nearly every chair in the house. 


I love this kind of chaos.  This is good stuff.  We will do this more often.


My kids are fortunate to have living Great Grandparents.  Again, I know we take this for granted.  We love being able to spend time with my Lao and Pao pretty regularly!  Since I had no daycare kids today (Thank you, MLK Jr.!), we paid a visit to some special people we don't see as often.

My Grandpa was literally asleep two seconds before I said "smile", and then he jerked his head up and gave us a big one.  So. Dang. Sweet.  Ryleigh worried that it was kind of mean to wake him up.  I told her I bet he didn't mind, and he went back to sleep as fast as he woke up :) 


It's kind of sad that my kids will never know the man who always carried a jar of peanuts and could fix anything.  That's just the way it goes.  I know he doesn't have any clue who we are, but it doesn't really matter.  Surely seeing those little faces brightens that one moment of his day, and that's a great thing.  This is good stuff.  We will do this more often.



Mitch's grandparents, in Beatrice.


Scooby Doo was playing directly behind me.  This is surely the reason for the weird smiles and blank stares you see here!  HAHA!!  We turned off the movie, dragged out the toys, and managed to leave without breaking anything (that I'm aware of).  $100 says Grandma and Grandpa took a nice nap after we left :)  Next time we'll turn Scooby off before we take pictures, and we'll go when Mitch can come with because he was sad he missed out!



Grandpa told me he met his buddies for coffee this morning.  Grandma took her sister to the doctor.  There is a phone in their basement that's at least 30 years old, which we saw because the kids were obsessed with seeing what was down there.  I learned about the German Buss's and the English Buss's.


 This is good stuff.  We will do this more often. 

Choosing to love,
Becky

3 comments:

Gma Marcy said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the blog - love the pictures. It was so great of you to take the kids to see G'pa Rod.

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

that is the good stuff! love your family becky... you are a great mom!

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

That's a great way to spend the day. Those are really good pics of Gma and Gpa. And Reise's sweet face looking at smiling Dominick is adorable!