"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chores

I've been meaning to blog about this for a while and just haven't done it.  Why do my days/weeks/months fly by so fast?  **SIGH**

I don't know anything about parenting.  John Rosemond does, and I love him.  Does anyone read his column?  I don't get the paper anymore, but recently found his weekly column online and have fallen in love with him all over again.  One of the things he says (over and over again) is that every child should have chores they are responsible to do on their own after they turn 3.  He also says no sippy cups after 2, and no diapers after 30 months.  Those "rules" have been fairly easy to follow, but we have never been good about assigning "chores".  Why?  It's so much easier to do everything myself.  By the time I give out a task, explain how to do it, explain it again, and then redo whatever didn't get done correctly, I could have done it myself 4 times.  But, that's not the point, is it?  I finally decided to bite the bullet and get organized enough to give out regular chores, and it's been going fairly well.  At this point there are no issues with the kids doing their chores, or doing them willingly.  The issue is that I have to give something up-like having the dishwasher loaded a certain way.  Which seems ridiculous if you've seen the inside of my Tupperware cabinet or the storage closet in my basement...which proves I'm not particular about most things!

 Evening charts, with the sun setting...get it?  


So anyway, I am loving these "chore charts".  They're laminated, so the kids can cross off stuff as they get it done, and then wipe it off for the next day.  I decided to make each one a chart for morning, afternoon, and evening.  Reise (4) actually only has an evening chart...Ry (7) and Rugger (6) have stuff they're responsible for each morning and evening, and then it's mostly their school stuff on the afternoon charts. 

 Afternoon chart that Ryleigh decorated with dry-erase marker, evidently! 


So, as they get older and their chores shift around, we'll have to modify this routine, I'm sure.  Maybe these charts will lose their appeal and we'll have to switch to another method altogether?  I'm curious to know what works for people, and how they manage chores with their kids.  One of my friends has all her chores listed in Outlook, and prints off tasks for each child.  She's the most organized human being I know, and I am not even going to attempt to get that organized at this point!  :) 



It's a lot of work, this parenting gig.  I figure I must be doing something right tho, when Reise gives her babydoll the Fisher Price noise-reduction headphones!  She's going to be a very responsible Mommy someday and protect her babies' ears :)  Never mind that her babies are usually naked, and have marker all over their heads.

Choosing to love,
Becky

1 comments:

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

Hmm.. this post has me thinking..... Maybe that's what we need to get Dailee to bed at night. I feel like I need to start 1/2 hr early just because she is so distractable. Maybe a (picture) bedtime chart would keep her on task. She seems to be good with visuals. Thanks for the idea!