"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, February 28, 2011

Etc.

Because, there's not really much going on around here...but so much going on at the same time.  Etc.: additional odds and ends; extras. 

First of all, I just have to say, I'm giddy with excitement to be blogging in the middle of the afternoon on a Monday.  The one thing I've missed so much since starting homeschooling the kids, is nap time.  It's been the hardest thing to get used to, the not having even a single moment to myself all day.  Of course, every mom has those days, and I'd had my fair share prior to this school year.  The constant never having those few precious hours in the afternoon to clean, bake, call my sister, browse facebook, do laundry, make grocery lists, get supper started...has been a major adjustment.  That said, I wouldn't trade teaching my kids for that time to myself.  It's been completely worth it, and I don't regret taking the plunge.  I'm just saying, this rare afternoon "off" has been very refreshing.  

Ryleigh and Rugger both have checkups (Ry-diabetes, Rugger-epilepsy) today in Omaha at Children's, and my handsome husband took the day off to get them there.  Rugger has been on meds and seizure-free for two years!  He's going to be weaned off his anti-seizure medication over the next five weeks, and we'll just "see how it goes"!  I'm pretty excited to see what happens.  Excited?  Kind of an odd way to put it.  Statistically, he has a 70% chance of never having seizures again, Praise the Good Lord.  Ryleigh was so nervous about getting her blood drawn today that she said she felt sick.  Poor, sweet, thing!  I completely understand the anxiety, I absolutely hate having my arms stuck!  We prayed about it, and I told her I'd ask Lao Lao to pray today, too.  She just sent me a text "Hi mom, I love you sooooo much. The blood draw wasn't that bad."  :)  Thanks, Lao...Thanks, God!!


P.S. I put music back on my blog because I like it, I think other people like it, and my brother who doesn't like it can just turn off his dang speakers! ;)

***********************
In other news...we had a dance party over the weekend.


The great thing about having a DJ for a dad is, you've got awesome slumber party activities!  He set up right next to the dress-up clothes and toy bins...quite a change from the usually scenery I'm sure.


He got the lights out and everything, oh my!  At 5:30pm on Friday night, our basement was rocking!  


We took seven kids to Ivanna Cone after dinner, thankful once again for my big white van!  She's a little hard to park in the Haymarket, but hey, we made it!  The guy behind the counter jokingly said "ha, all those kids yours?", then dropped his jaw almost to his chest when I said "oh, heavens NO, just five of them".


There was fresh snow on the ground and it was 10 degrees out, which helps explain why we had the place to ourselves :) 



The big kids slept in a tent downstairs, which went surprisingly well.  I was certain they'd be up all night messing around, but all that dancing must have worn them out. 


 

*******************
Rowen loves chocolate.   Reise loves to do Easy Bake.  Match made in heaven.


I'm shocked that you can bake a little miniature cake with nothing more than an insulated 100watt light bulb!  



Mix in a little Sonic happy hour for maximum enjoyment...




 ****************************
Last week we had a bit of snow, nothing major, but the roads were pretty slick.  Not slick enough for public schools to cancel, just slick enough for our homeschool co-op to cancel.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to check on that before I had gotten our lunch prepared and packed (40 minutes), and everyone  fed and dressed with shoes and coats on.  Don't get me wrong, I was pleased as punch to not have to drive that beast of a van on the ice and snow, but dangit!  


We switched gears, slowly but surely, and ended up with this.  Play-doh turned volcano-making. 


Rugger threw the dinosaurs in for effect.  I thought it really added to the whole experience.  Ryleigh suggested red food coloring for the lava.  Of course, I was fresh out...so we had yellow lava, which worked fine.  


Tru-bitty-du-man was actually really scared that the lava would explode all the way up to the ceiling fan.  Thankfully, that did not happen :)

We probably needed new play-doh anyway.



***************************
We rushed our buns out the door on Saturday morning to get in line for a kids' movie...and it turned out we were the very first to arrive.  With seven people, you can't just show up late and expect to sit together.  No problem this time! 



I purposely left my camera at home, thinking I'd take a break from being that mom who's flash is going off constantly in the dark theater before the movie starts.  Of course, it was empty and I could have flashed to my heart's content.  Oh, well! 


Come to think of it, my phone camera actually has a flash.  Why didn't I use it?  



Rowen loves chocolate, and he also loves pop.  He was sure loving this situation he had going right here!  His momma didn't raise no dummy, he sat himself right next to the lady with the snacks.  Hello!




*********************
What a perfectly relaxing afternoon I've just had, but you know what?  I'm itching to get going, I've got laundry to switch over, my kitchen floor needs mopped, and my little chickens will be waking up soon.  My big chickens are on their way home, I just got a text from Rugger: "Mom.  You. R. The. Best. Bekus. Ur. The. Best.  Rugger. Sallinger." 

Choosing to love,
Becky

1 comments:

Marylyn said... Best Blogger Tips

So glad the 'blood-draw' wasn't soooo bad. Prayer does help. Thanks for allowing me to share in this experience. Luv, Lao