"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Homemade Silly Putty

A week ago I had a conversation about soaking dry beans (as opposed to buying them canned) with my friend.  I forgot about it immediately.  I make one bean dip that we all really like, about 3 times per year. That's when I think about learning how to soak my own beans.  Then, I forget all about it.  Tonight, she texts me "just cooked my first batch of dry beans...turned out great..."  And then, a dozen texts later, I admit to her that I have no idea what to do with the beans once they're soaked.  Like, I don't know how to actually use them in a meal.  She suggests searching for bean recipes on the internet.  I'm not mocking her at all when I say, I actually hadn't thought of that.  For real.  What is wrong with me that I will spend 45 precious minutes during a very busy day searching out the very best homemade GAK recipe on Youtube, but it doesn't occur to me to Google "beans".

There is something wrong with me.  "I'm stunted", is how I delicately put it in my text reply.

Lucky for you, I did find the best recipe for homemade silly putty.  And, I'm posting it here, which will take a good 20 minutes.  (20 minutes that I could be using to enhance my thrifty and nutritious meal-making abilities.)


Mix 1/4 cup Elmer's All Purpose Glue (not school glue!) with 1/4 cup water.  Add food coloring, if you want.



In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup borax with 1 cup water.




Now, slowly add the borax/water to the glue/water while stirring very quickly (stir so fast that you think your arm is going to fall off).


VIOLA!  So funnnnn!!!!!  It actually took us a few tries to get the consistency right.  If you let it sit long enough, even the chunkiest stuff will eventually smooth out.  The trick is to not let any clumps of borax hit the glue.  Major lump issues!!  It's the weirdest, strangest thing.  It obviously doesn't take much to get me all worked up :)  I sort-of poured ours into a Ziploc to keep it.  I think if you use less water it would actually turn into more of a putty than a Gak.  If anyone tries that let me know!

So, that didn't actually take 20 minutes, and I'm going to go Google bean recipes now :)

B

1 comments:

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

Talk about stunted - I just realized that the paint lids were in a heart shape! Geez! Cute pic!
Please blog about the beans. Aaron's grandma sends us beans and they sit in our pantry. I finally took your idea the other day of letting the kids play with them. I have pinto beans. I really would like to figure out how to make refried beans. Suppose I should google too....