"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

For her.


Another garage sale under our belts, another few hundred dollars raised for Juvenile Diabetes.  We've been doing this for several years, all the items we sell have been donated, and all the money we make is donated to JDRF.  This year, I hardly did a thing.  Thanks to Mitch's awesome family, I basically just showed up and hung out all day, thankyouverymuch. :)  It was wonderful.  There was no way I could have done much more than send out emails and collect donations.  We were in the throws of planning my parents' 35th anniversary party, and our garage is completely stuffed with the contents of our house. 


My kids love the garage sale, because they get to drink pop.  This year we let them choose some flavored water instead, but somehow they all ended up with pop eventually...


Reise wasn't super excited about wearing matching clothes and she hated the shorts I picked out for her.  So, I agreed that she could wear her boots.  Guess who's feet were bare because they were so sore, by 11am? 


Mitch's brother hosted the sale at his house this year, and I think the kids would vote to do it this way every year.  They love playing with their cousin's old toys, and running around without shoes on.  Heaven help me, some day our yard will be acceptable for bare feet.  Right after we move and return the contents of the garage to the inside of the house! :)


We found Geo Trax at a sale around the corner, what a deal! 


I'm pretty sure they don't get it, the real reason we support JDRF.  I hope as they grow up they'll remember this stuff, and continue to do things to support their family.  Even if it's a lot of work and doesn't involve a fun day of playing with cousins ;)



This kid cracks me up.  What a boy.  Love him!


I hope Ryleigh grows up feeling like her family made it a priority to help find a cure for her disease.  Thanks again, to Mike and Lynnette for hosting the sale. To Misty and Sue for helping to coordinate, set up, tear down, and haul donations.  Thanks to everyone who donated items for the sale!  We really appreciate having such a supportive network of family and friends!




A few weekends ago I got dressed up, took the kids to Grandma's for the night, and drove downtown to help out at the JDRF Gala.  I've been helping to coordinate the item pick-up for several years now, and it's always a really fun night.  


Individuals and businesses donate some really great items for the Gala guests to bid on.  It's super fun to walk around beforehand and check out all the goodies.

 


When it was all said and done, over $225,000 was raised to help find a cure for type 1 diabetes.  One lady there received a medal to commemorate her living 50 years with the disease.  The moms and dads volunteering spoke with her afterward and she said "tell your little kids this is possible for them, some day they'll have this medal for living with diabetes for half a century!  They need to take care of themselves..."


I couldn't stop myself before I said, "Heck no lady, my kid will not have diabetes in 50 years."  50 years!?  No freakin' way.  We've got to be closer than that.  She laughed, and said I was probably right...  The moms and dads and I all looked at each other nervously like oh no, really? there's no way.  Is there?

Choosing to love,
Becky

0 comments: