"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May Day

May Day was kind of a big deal when I was a kid.  I remember running around my neighborhood with flimsy plastic cups full of popcorn and a few M&M's, ringing doorbells and sprinting away before I got kissed.

We don't really have many neighbor kids around our house.  The majority of our friends and family live on the other side of the earth town, so we usually pack up our goodies and drive them around. 


With all the candy in our house thanks to Easter, we decided to give away cookies this year.  I figured we weren't the only ones still rationing out jelly beans and Reese's eggs!  I let Ryleigh stay up way too late the night before, helping me bake cookies and package them.  My sister came over with her baby, and we were so busy chatting and letting Ryleigh hang with Dominick, it was 11pm before I finally came to my senses and sent her to bed! 


Half-way through our deliveries I realized I forgot my camera, and it occurred to me how creepy it was to leave unmarked cling-wrapped baked goods on people's doorsteps.  Out of 34 May Day recipients, only 2 were actually home...which, kind of threw a wrench in the whole "chase" part of the game.

  

We took turns getting out and making the drops.  Rowen was as sweet as could be, carefully carrying his little package to the door and reaching up to ring the bell.  Good thing no one was home, he didn't understand he was supposed to hurry.



Ryleigh may or may not have had several emotional meltdowns, probably due to lack of sleep combined with an overly high anxiety level when it wasn't her turn and she had to watch her painfully slow siblings.  Oh, the drama!  You would have thought the consequence for getting caught on May Day was death. 




It was a gorgeous day to weave in and out of neighborhoods for two hours on $4/gallon gas :)  We stopped and had lunch, then went home to skip naps and work in the yard.  Some of our friends made the trek across the earth town to make our kids' day, and they were so excited to do the chasing :)  


Long live fun family traditions!

B

0 comments: