"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

My special day started with a nice visit from a few of my buddies at the Lincoln Police Department.  At 3am.  They even brought me a nice card!  Wasn't that sweet?


Some kid with a BB gun and too much time on his hands shot out the giant back window to my beautiful white van.  For real!?  Common folks.  Go find something important to do during the day to wear you out and require you to sleep at night.


Thanks to the local paper carrier, who rang my doorbell like a crazy person after he drove by and noticed.  At 3am.  I'm sorry I didn't rush to the door, certainly you can understand how alarmed I was.  Thanks for being persistent tho, and making sure I was assessed of the situation.  Of course DJ Steele wasn't home and I ended up hollering to the nice guy through the living room windows.  How ridiculous and semi-hilarious, now that I think about it.  Good grief.  

Thankfully we had started preparing for our celebrations earlier in the week.  So, I had hand painted flower pots to wake up to on Sunday morning after my fitful cat nap!




Five pretty flower pots and five sweet little faces.  Well, Reise's wasn't so sweet.  I think that girl woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  Merciful heavens.  Rugger was up at 6:15am.  It's not his fault I didn't go to bed until well after 4.  He is the sweetest thing ever, and he rustled up an awesome little breakfast for us!


Thankfully, Daddy had some other things going as well, to supplement the glass of tepid water, the apple, and the chips and Chipotle corn salsa.  And two Snickers.  What a crack up, I love that kid!


I asked that my handsome husband not purchase a gift for me, because I was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of money I'd spent on our yard last week.  Then, I saw this awesome table for sale by my friend, Tori on facebook, and changed my mind.  Her little boy had used it for his trains, and I'm pretty sure her handy husband made it!  It's a great table, and we bought it and we filled it with sand.


I hate sand.  But, whatever!  The kids are thrilled and I foresee many fun days in our future playing under our deck!  Sand is annoying but it just screams summer.  Love it!


Thankful for those bright spots in my day, because other than that and a really fun lunch out, it had it's rough moments.  Everything seems rough when you haven't slept, like a computer virus and non-working air conditioning...in the vehicle and the house.  This brings me back to my many nights with newborns and makes me smile.  I loved having babies and when I look back those nights have turned into very romantic, sweet memories.  Surely this day will transform on it's own in time :)  Until then, I think I'm going to take a shower, buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's to eat for dinner, and relax on my cooler-than-the-house-at-this-point deck.

I love being a Mom, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me and I feel so blessed to be able to celebrate this day.  Even if it's accompanied by a sleepless night, insurance deductibles, and life in it's most irritating form :)  I've got sweet chickens to hose down after an afternoon of sand, and a few hours left to savor my day.  Happy Mother's Day!

Choosing to love,
Becky

4 comments:

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

Glad the table worked for you! now i am asking myself...why didnt i use it for a sand table!?!?!?!
Happy mothers day to a wonderful mother! I agree motherhood is the best thing that has ever happened to me!!!

Tori said... Best Blogger Tips

i forgot to add, rugger enjoyed telling me all about the buckets and shovels you were going to be using in the sand table. and emma was sad her friend reise was not in the van this time. i was jelly of you and your wonderfully napping children :) i told mitch how lucky you guys are for the nappers! :) i miss the napping days!

Gu34 said... Best Blogger Tips

Bummer about the van window. We love our sand table (now that we don't have that stupid Fun Sand in it!) You should have Mitch call Aaron before you call someone to work on your AC. He's learned a little bit about them with his new facilities management position. =) It might be as simple as "spraying down the coils" like he did to ours yesterday.

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

@Gu34

I didn't know you didn't like your moon sand, we actually thought about doing that! Day 1 of sand table was huge success. I had to give Titus a bath before his nap and rinsed about 1/2 lb. of sand down the drain out of his hair, diaper, etc. hahaha! Still, awesome!

Mitch learned the coil hosing thing from Mike a few years ago. It's 31 years old, and I'm hoping it's ready to be replaced. We have Service Guard, so it won't cost us anything either way. It's just annoying that we have to wait another few days. It's 84 degrees in here right now in the coolest part of the upstairs, and climbing! I'm guessing my nappers are going to wake up sweaty and crabby :)