"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Etc.

Because, there's not really much going on around here...but so much going on at the same time. Etc.: additional odds and ends; extras.


We finally got over to the library this week, to sign up for the summer reading program.  Good grief, we've been trying to get there for ever!  I was pretty sure Rowen could handle a 40 minute trip to the library, and he did OK.  Until we got home.  Then he totally crashed out :( dangit!  Poor kid.  I figured it'd be a slow road, and he seems almost 100% sometimes, but then he loses it pretty quick.  The instant I'm feeling annoyed and tired with the sleepless nights and keeping track of meds, I am overwhelmingly grateful that this is not a permanent situation for us.  This is temporary, and the end is certainly near, and I am a very blessed mama. 


The kids have to read for 10 hours, complete 10 activities, and visit the library 4 times before July 31.  Pretty sure Ryleigh got over half of the reading part done today.  Sweet thing, we haven't been to the library in three weeks, she's been surviving on Babysitter's Club books on loan from her aunt!



Rowen, in his tiny little gremlin voice, "we can get train movies, I'm siiick, riiight??"  Yes, sir.  Milk that as long as you can.  It's going to be a long road back to his usual level of spoiled, he's still operating off the charts for the most part.  Mercy.



Rugger and Eli, masters of the self-checkout.


Reise, creator of the home-checkout.  Hahaha!  I LOVE it when they make stuff up.  Can you see it?  I wish I had better pics.  Thankful for my phone camera when I forget my real one...but it doesn't always do what I want. 


She's got the flashlight going for the bar code scanner.  Do not tell Mitch.  I don't blame him for getting mad when he can't find that blasted flashlight.  I really don't.  But, I can't help but love this scene.  I really can't!


"Here, Rowen.  Like this.



Still trying to sell this beast.  And by trying, I mean we took the sign out and wiped it down, and re-sharpie'd the phone number because it was pretty faded from the sun, snow, rain and wind over the last six months.


She got a mini face-lift, and is loving life a little more now.  Everything looks better when the sun is shining and the grass is green.  Oh, and when the gross brown trim is gone.  Yes, much better.  Mitch thinks that brown storm door sticks out like a sore thumb.  I don't even care, because I love that door.  That door was a gift from my sister and her husband, who had it installed when I was in the hospital birthing Rugger.  (I just love that word, birthing!)  It was quite the feat, since we were in the hospital less than 24 hours, and it wasn't a scheduled delivery!  My brother-in-law suggested painting it.  I might.



And, speaking of beasts.  Rugger!!  My word, humming bird (that's for my aunt, Marcia!).  He is packing on the pounds, and getting taller by the instant. Earlier this spring, it was very apparent by the high-water pants he was wearing (which I'd just purchased in December!), that he'd had a growth spurt.  A month ago, I was wrasslin' with him, and suddenly realized how heavy he was.  My handsome husband thinks it's because he's finally off his anti-seizure meds!  Really?  I was skeptical.  That is a side effect.  He did stop taking them in January, right before the apparent growth explosion.  Hmmmmm.  It makes me wonder. 

Doesn't he look thrilled?  I think this was at the end of March, when he was actually done being slowly weened off.



And, speaking of medicine!  Since Rowen is on a super duper strong and nasty antibiotic, we decided to put him on a probiotic.  He has trouble with his gut getting completely torn up by even regular strength antibiotics.  I did a minimal amount of Googling, and decided on Culturelle.  I wanted one that only contained a single strain of bacteria, and this one came up a lot in my searches.  Anyone else use a probiotic with their kids?  I'm interested in finding something a little cheaper once we're done being sick, to use for regular everyday maintenance.  One of my friends grows her own Kefir, which I think I'd be "down" with, but I need to do some more reading about it.  Specifically regarding the benefits of multiple strains vs. one strain.


I love my little dishwasher elf.  She's very efficient!  The only thing that saves me from complete depression regarding my kids getting older is the fact that now they can actually do stuff.  Unload the dishwasher, take out the garbage, grab me a pop from the basement while you're at it?!  It's great.  Probably not as great as rocking a sleeping newborn...but, there's just nothing I can do about that.


It took me so many days to get this post published that by this morning I'm able to report that Rowen woke up after 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep without screaming, and took his medicine without a fight.  Hallelujah!  Ryleigh woke up later and said, "Hey! Rowen's screaming didn't wake me up today!"  Life is good when the 3yr old isn't a belligerent mess before 7am.

Choosing to love,
Becky

3 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow!! I love the idea of painting your house. It looks great! What a diffrence it made. Brandi

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Brandi! If only it were paint! That would've sure have been cheaper :) its actually aluminum siding. I know you have a siding "guy" but if anyone else needs a referral, I have a good one!

Tiffany said... Best Blogger Tips

House looks great! I don't think the door sticks out in this pic. Hope it helps you sell that ...house :)