"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On the mend.

We're staying another night.  There.  I said it.  Now, I won't be tempted to tell the nice surgeon that I think it's best we go tonight.  He left it up to us to decide what we thought would be better for our family.  One half of us thinks we should stay, the other half really wants to get moving on with life again.  I miss the other 80% of my children, and I want a bed, a hot shower, shampoo, conditioner, a bed...

That pig is so gross, and if I'd have known we were going to be dragging it around so many places this week I would have washed it.  Oh, heavens.  I'm shocked they let him take it into surgery, there's nothing sterile about it! 

I was so exhausted and relieved last night after we got back to our room that I just completely zonked out.  It was Midnight one minute, and 6am the next.  Honestly, I don't even really remember laying down, and when I woke up I couldn't figure out where I was.  Followed that up with a full shower and fresh Monday's clothes, and I don't feel too shabby.  Second day hand soap hair is definitely not as fabulous as the first, in case you were wondering.  

The boy is in for a slow recovery, if today is any indicator.  He woke up chipper as could be, hopped out of bed, and tried to walk across the floor to the potty!  He wears out really fast though, and isn't eating or drinking very consistently, yet.  We think he was probably in so much pain with that abscess, that he probably feels relatively great even though he's got an open wound the size of a silver dollar in the back of his tiny little throat, and two missing tonsils.  He's certainly not looking sick like he was.  The doctor warned us he might spike another fever immediately following the procedure, and he sure did.  But, since then he's been fever free which has to make him feel better.  

I said today that I thought it'd take me a good 6 or 7 days to really miss my regular routine.  That might not be quite true.  It's the middle of Day 4, and I'm really antsy to see my other little chickens.  I'm not bored here, and I love the quiet.  I could easily sit in this chair and watch my little boy sleep for hours on end.  I'm not worried about the other four, I know they're having fun and being well taken care of.  Thanks, Aunt Misty!  But, I miss them and I'm almost willing to go against my better judgement and get us out of here tonight, just to get back.  Almost.  I already said we were staying, so there's nothing I can do now but wait another night :)  

B

6 comments:

Lynne said... Best Blogger Tips

Staying another night is a very good plan. It's good for him to have quiet rest, and I'm sure that will be harder at home with all of the hugs and concern that will be showered on him by the rest of folks in the coop. So glad he is on the mend!

Questions from the curious: Is that a "nose" oxygen thingy that he is breathing through is mouth instead? Does the open sore in his throat keep him from eating for a long time? From swallowing anything in general?

If I can help with anything, please let me know.

Lynne

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your questions, Lynne! I wasn't sure who really cared besides my medical-ish friends. Yes, on the oxygen thingy. He didn't want it in his nose (he's a very demanding patient, especially when on narcotics!) and he was breathing thru his mouth anyway. So, we just waited til he was asleep again after he woke up and took it out, and put it up to his mouth instead. The open wound where the abscess was is way back behind the right tonsil. The tonsils were actually fine, but they had to come out in order to get to the abscess. In fact, only the right side needed to come out. But, we decided to have him take both to keep things even in there. It isn't any more in the way as far as eating. Its probably a lot more sore than a normal tonsil removal just because there were more cuts, etc. Actually there were 2 little pockets of infection near that big one, so 3 total. He seems to be swallowing like everyone expects, kinda sore but he's doing it pretty well.

Lynne said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for teaching me something today! I watch Grey's Anatomy and originally planned to be a pediatric physical therapist. So add me to your list of medical-ish friends. LOL! :)

Bill said... Best Blogger Tips

It was good to see you this afternoon when making hospital visits. So glad that Rowan is doing much better!

Becky said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you want to know how many times Mitch has (jokingly) said "hey, I watch Grey's Anatomy, I know how these things work". Ha!!!

Suzanne Borovich said... Best Blogger Tips

Day 2 and 3 in my opinion are the worst for soreness. However, my kids would eat Ramen Noodles, decaf warm tea w/a little sugar, and popsicles. If he isn't taking cold things very well, try room temp or warm (not hot). My kids weren't big on anything with carbonation a few days afterward either. I'll continue to pray for all of you guys!