"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

I just love a good weekend with fun stuff, productive stuff, a little work, a little play... who doesn't, right?


We had 32 lbs. of peaches to mess with.  I love freezing unpeeled slices for smoothies, and this year I also made a few quarts of pie filling.  I freeze the slices on sheets, then pop them off into Ziploc bags.  They don't stick together because they were frozen separately like that, so you can pull out just a few slices at a time for smoothies (or whatever else).  




Peach crisp anyone? { Oh, sorry, it's gone. }


The kids got free passes to the state fair from the library summer reading program (ha, all but one of them would have been free anyway...oh, well!).  Their little prize packets also included a free ride and some food coupons.  I just love cheap fun, ya know!?  Well, cheaper. 




Someone forgot to tell Rowen to keep his hands and feet inside the ride at all times.


It's hard to see with the blur, but Ryleigh's in the very back car screaming like it's nobody's business. 




We decided to go Friday night, even though we knew that meant super late bedtimes.  I didn't think there would be enough to keep us there for more than a few hours (unless we wanted to spend a million dollars on rides, are you kidding me!?), and we didn't want to devote an entire day to going anyway. 


It was the perfect amount of time to see the animals but not walk around all day, plus go on a few rides and eat a little junk. 



We mentioned out loud a few times how weird it was to not have a stroller, diaper bag, sippy cups, wet wipes...  { We really could have used those wet wipes a few times. }  I miss having babies, but it's fun to have bigger kids that can hang until Midnight for a fun trip 90 miles West!



You better believe that after all that excitement and sugar, they hung clear up until Midnight when we pulled into the driveway.


And by hang, I mean, we all required naps the next day but it still worked out pretty well.  Who doesn't love a good weekend family nap time?!  We do.  We actually loved it all the way through lunch and Husker kickoff.  { oh, well. }


My goal this weekend (really, just to take a break from all the ding-dong-dang cleaning!) was to get my freezers filled back up.  I haven't done much major cooking or baking this summer because, well...it's too ding-dang-dong hot to heat the kitchen.  Hello, cooler temps, thanks for making your arrival this weekend!

We start "school" tomorrow, at least in a more official way than we've been doing all summer.  I'm getting all geared up for busier days.  Not wanting to spend my evenings in the kitchen is motivating me to make food, plan ahead, get my you-know-what organized.  This gorgeous weather hasn't hurt!


Windows and back door open, kids playing in the yard, nice little breeze blowing in.  Heavenly!  I browned lots of meat, hard boiled some eggs, made a few meals, baked a bunch of bread, and Mitch made two batches of breakfast cookies.  (P.S. I finally put a search box up at the top right-hand corner of this little bliggity blog!  So, if you want to find granola recipes or whatever, that might make it easier.  I just used it, myself!)


By the time I publish this post I might be able to say I've made my first batch of homemade yogurt.  I'll keep you posted on that, because if it works and is as easy as it seems like it's going to be, you may want to try it!

Here's to a great week,
Becky

3 comments:

Katieabateman said... Best Blogger Tips

I so wanted to get these made this weekend!! Best breakfast ever. Maybe tomorrow night. See u tomorrow!

Becky@IfTheseWallsSpoke said... Best Blogger Tips

I know you have the ingredients ;) I'll have one ready for you when you drop off my favorite baby tomorrow!

Amie said... Best Blogger Tips

You are a busy mama! Love your pics!