"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Friday, September 9, 2011

Phone Photo Friday and a new snack {recipe}

Last Friday, after I had already posted my phone photos for the week... 

I do really love seeing stuff used correctly.  If there are 9 10 spots at the table, why not have them filled?  May as well pack the white van's seats if we're going to drive it around anyway.  It's a good thing these are the best behaved kids ever.  You'll notice we're really heavy on the boy around here. 

Not to worry.  This one kind of makes up for that. 


The weather took an amazing turn over the weekend, and it's been glorious in the evenings!!  Absolutely nothing better than snuggling under a blanket with a sick chicken next to the fire pit.  Nothing!  Even better when they sleep thru the night and wake up the next morning completely back to normal.  Like a little gift just for me.  Thank you, Jesus.


We started school, did you hear?  :)  We've had our ups and downs.  This moment here, definitely up.


I found these weird little cheese knives in the Target dollar bins.  They are a little sharper than I though they'd be, but they are making bagel mornings fun.  Not that bagel mornings weren't already fun.  Easiest breakfast on my menu, love it!


Lucky me, right!?  I work on Thursday mornings, and Jimmy John's happened to have their Customer Appreciation $1 subs on Thursday.  No other day would I have been able to take advantage of this great deal. Yes!  Score!  Loved it. 


We never serve dessert after a meal.  That's not saying we don't eat dessert.  It's just never served as a part of the meal-make sense?  Tonight, I pulled out this angel food cake roll immediately after dinner, and the kids nearly fell off their chairs.  Mild panic, hysteria, confusion, chaos...it was ridiculous!  Rowen started singing Happy Birthday, and he was 100% serious.  I swear.  We are doing this more often, if for no other reason than to make sure a scene like that doesn't happen the next time we're in public for a meal. 


This is odd and kind of gross, really.  Rugger noticed one of the goldfish we bought the piranha was missing an eye.  No one's sure how that happened-was it born like that?  Have a rough day?   Did the piranha already take a little nibble?  It looks like it's supposed to be missing.  There's a little spot there where you'd think it should be...but no blood or goo...was that going too far description-wise?  I'm just saying, the fish sure didn't look like it was in distress at all.  Just swimming around calmly with one eye.


So, we put it in it's own bowl and saved it from the piranha.  And named it Uno.

Pretty hard to see because it's pretty hard to take a picture of a fish with your phone.  This is the no-eyed side.

Oooooh.  I found a new snack on this blog.  Healthy-ish, whole, real food, non-cracker snacks are a hit with me.  These are suuuuper easy and meet my weird requirements.  This is kind of a guide...you could really do any number of combinations of different ingredients.  I happened to have most of what she used on hand, and this is what I ended up writing down to use for later: 

No Bake Energy Bites 
1/2 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
1/3 cup honey (I think you could use about half and still get everything stuck together well, they are plenty sweet)
1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup flaked coconut (I used 3/4 cup coconut, then added 1/4 cup ground flax)
1 tsp cinnamon & a tiny bit nutmeg (use any spice you like)
1/2 cup chopped Craisins (use anything here-dried fruit, nuts, etc.)

1/4 cup mini choc chips (just for fun, because I had them)

Makes 12 balls (golf ball sized)



Just mix the dry ingredients, then mix the peanut butter and honey together, mix into dry ingredients...make into balls.  Freeze!  I doubled this recipe (would triple or quadruple in the future because mass quantities are the only way to go for me!).  It took maaaaybe 20 minutes, probably a little less.  


I think next time I'll make them even a touch smaller.  I want to freeze them, and once they're frozen solid it'd be best to be able to down them in two bites or less to avoid a gooey mess.  Two kid-sized bites, I should clarify :) 

Sad to report by the time I published this, Uno has passed.  Maybe he was distressed after all.  Or, maybe being moved into solitary confinement created distress.  Either way, RIP Uno. 

Happy, happy weekend, all.  DJ Steele is working like a maniac this weekend, so the kids and I will be bumming around doing a whole lot of nothing.  I cannot wait.  
B

1 comments:

The Moellers said... Best Blogger Tips

poor lil Uno :(
I read the part about singing happy bday aloud to the dessert to my husband... we both laughed out loud! :)