"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

FOUR

I love birthdays.  I really do.  Of all the good excuses to use gift cards, take days off work, and hang out in a booth at Chuck E. Cheese's to kick off a long weekend of celebrating life, a birthday is as good as any.

I would just like to state, for the record, that I usually catch these kinds of things before they leave the house.  These denim-capris-with-cowboy-boots kinds of things.  Also for the record, she won't give that shirt up to the winter bins.  Clearly, I have my hands full with this one.  Carry on, my little independent one.



We have reached this golden stage in life (emotional post brewing).  I've mentioned it before.  Our kids are young enough to like us and have fun playing ski ball and whack-a-mole, but old enough to not need our direct supervision.  If we choose to, we can sip fountain pop in the booth mid-restaurant, and require them to check in with us every 3rd token.  It's pretty beautiful.  (Cue hysterical bawling and previously mentioned emotional blog post in edit.)




I bought a "deal" a few months ago for a family art class, and we used it Saturday morning as part of the boys' birthday weekend fun.  Maeson loves art.  It's really all he ever wants to do, if he has a choice.  All the kids thought it was fun, and we made some new decorations for our new house!




No, Mitch doesn't drive a bus on his days off.  (Oh, wait.  He doesn't have any days off!)  The studio owner had a bunch of old uniforms to use as smocks, which was pretty fun.





Saturday evening, we met my sister's family and my parents at Mahoney state park's indoor playground.  The kids ran themselves into the ground.


They also ran Uncle Brandon into the ground.



With this many siblings, plus cousins in the mix, everyone nearly always has a buddy.


I know I'm so biased, but they are so adorable!  I love their matchy matchy shirts.  I'm going to go cry now at the thought of them waking up one day and not wanting to wear coordinating outfits.


Monday night-waffles with sausage was Rowen's birthday dinner request.  {Complete with a hard boiled egg.}  He's so dang sweet (and he has a sweet tooth!). 


Tuesday night-spaghetti with meatballs was Maeson's birthday dinner request.  He's our savory guy-he likes candy and gum, but he'll ditch a piece of cake for a second plate of spaghetti!


Behold, the 2nd ugliest birthday cake I've ever made.  Mitch: "second?? ugliest?!..."  Apparently he couldn't recall anything uglier!  Hahahaha!  "The boys will love it, and it will taste great."  I'm not sure if that was supposed to make me feel better, or what.  I ran out of powdered sugar, so I substituted with blended Splenda and cornstarch.  This all transpired between 1:30pm and 3pm-the entire cake process start to finish, including the idea.  I am not beating myself up over here-there will be years for my cake decorating skills to shine in the future, Lord willing.

And, it did taste fantastic.

Happy Birthday to my absolute favorite four-year-olds on the planet, I can't believe how much I love you!


We celebrated the daylights out of those boys this weekend.  Throw in Easter and we were all basically stumbling around party-drunk by last night.  It might be rough coming down, but it's already Wednesday, and we move in just over two week.  Two.  Weeks.  It's probably officially time to let my "works best under pressure" system do it's thing. (Don't judge my system on the cake, that was a fluke.)

B

2 comments:

Kirsten Ferris Filian said... Best Blogger Tips

for everything on your plate, darth and yoda look wonderful - and i'm sure your 4 year olds will remember this cake for a long long time! (thanks for showing your Husker colors - that's one (!) of the reasons I follow your blog as a Husker in Illinois!)

If These Walls Spoke said... Best Blogger Tips

Hahaha! Thanks, Kirsten!! :)