"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Falling Fast.

It seems like about this time every year, further along into the transition from blazing hot summer to snow and ice, I feel a panic to fit in everything I want to do before the weather and holidays take control of my schedule.  For example, this week it was MUST go fishing one last time!  Must carve our pumpkins, must make fall crafts, need to bake a bazillion fallish items because pretty soon it'll be Christmas which always comes and goes too quickly and I won't have time...and (!!!!!!!!!!)  Can you feel the internal screaming that is happening in my head?  Why do I panic?  It's because I'm emotionally unstable.  There.  I've summed it up for you. 


It's irrational and ridiculous.  I hate feeling like I can't just spontaneously enjoy time because I'm too busy making sure I use it wisely and most efficiently since I'm so dang panicked it's passing by faster and faster the older I get.  It's a viscous and neverending cycle.  SO!  I had my sister and brother and ALL their boys over for an impromptu lunch this weekend.  Doing things spur of the moment makes me feel like I'm stealing time, and I am a big fan of tricking my unstable self into believe I've stolen a few hours.  :)

There's something about having all my little favorites under my roof eating at my table that just slays me.  SLAYS. 
 


No, my brother did not step in an enormous pile of hot steaming pooh.  I can see why you'd think that, but actually he's just making that face to be funny. 


Just floating some homemade boats is all, no biggie :)




We haven't done nearly the number of crafts this school year that we've done in the past.  I'm blaming the ages and personalities of the kids I have right now.  I feel like the boys really couldn't care less about crafts, and the big kids are kind of "over" them...however, I discovered that if it's edible everyone is suddenly interested! 


These pretzel webs were SUPER easy.  That's melted almond bark in the icing bag.  It's a little tricky to clean out if you forget about it and the bark hardens with the coupler still in the bag.  That's a free tip from me to you :)




This picture really sums up what was happening here.  Classic Reise quote of the night, *insert huge dramatic yet sincere sigh* "I wish I was a boy so I could get all messy like that.  I just can't do it, so dad will have to." 



Completely unrelated to anything, except that I want to remember it forever and someday I'll browse through these old posts and this will be here and make me laugh hard:  Rowen said to me in the van this weekend, "Deer don't poop eggs.  They just poop plain old live babies with no shell."  (At this point I decided maybe I should have reconsidered letting him watch the youtube video of the giraffe giving birth.)   





Fall is quickly coming to an end.  I see Thanksgiving just around the bend.  I will not panic.  If I can convince Mitch to help me, I might even put our tree up this weekend just to give myself some extra time for Christmas this year.  Why not? 

I've got five kids really excited to dress up and trick-or-treat tomorrow.  They've been counting down the days!  Here's hoping for a good Snickers harvest this year ;)

Becky

0 comments: