"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Etc.

Because, there's not really much going on around here...but so much going on at the same time.  Etc. : additional odds and ends; extras.


So, I turned the A/C on in the house today.  I broke my "wait 'til June 1st" rule, and I just wanted to be honest about it.  I decided it was in everyone's best interest for me to be cool and calm today, and that's that.  (Like you care!)  It's been way too long since I pulled out my camera.  Months.  I finally dumped my phone pics and filled in the blog here and there with posts of stuff I really didn't want to leave out.  Everything else I dumped into this Etc. post ;)  I will try to keep up from here on out!  Might even dust off the Canon. 
 
(Here are links to the posts I added in: Mother's Day  Marathoning   Boys' Birthdays  Easter)

*********

Rugger recently pulled a tooth that had been loose for over a year.  Literally.  I have no idea how it hung on that long.  He had been to the dentist TWICE since it was discovered to be loose initially.  So weird.  Anyway, after all that, I accidentally poured it down the drain.  In my defense it was sitting in a random cup full of water on the kitchen counter.  I had no idea.  Thankfully, the Tooth Fairy is super understanding. 


And, speaking of teeth.  Pretty sure we didn't document Reise's first loss on thee blog.  Rugger gave it the final yank after she punched herself in the mouth to get it good and loose.  I can't make these things up.  Ask Reise for a reenactment.  


A random neighbor I had never met before knocked on the door one afternoon last week and asked if we would like a gallon sized Ziploc full of pepperonis.  Um, yes please.

That's not weird, is it?  They're delicious. 


Crumb snatcher.  The dog is getting really bold with her eating stuff off the counters and tables.  She loves butter in mass quantities and digests Saran Wrap with no problem.   The volume of food she can scarf down in seconds is pretty astounding.

Every dog has it's tricks.
Rugger saved his money for months and finally bought his electric motorcycle.  The thing is pretty sweet.  Now that he's made that big purchase, the next item on his list is a new remote control helicopter.  He's about $3 short.  Actually closer to $4 after he bought his mom a Snickers for Mother's Day with his own money.  So sweet! :)  Love that he's so determined and has figured out a little money management!


We lost a hen about a month ago.  The kids found her one morning, stiff with feet straight up in the air, and they were pretty "farm kid" about the whole thing.  It was sad, but these things happen, and it was just a chicken.  It's still weird to see the pair out in the yard now, pecking around without their 3rd wheel.  The other white hen (Esther) started acting really weird...sitting around, not coming out of the coop, not laying eggs.  We thought she was sick, did some googling, poked at her a bit, and after a week realized she was probably just depressed that her friend was gone!  It sounds weird, but evidently chickens do that!  Sure enough, after another few days she started coming out of the coop, pecking around, acting normal again.  She still hasn't laid an egg since.  Hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon.  We learn new things every day over here.


Nice weather has slowly returned.  Really looking forward to regular late nights downtown again!


I'm in a decorating phase lately; these things are usually short-lived ;)  I finally painted and hung a window I have had for months.  I need to find something to go over or around it, and I want to find some topiary flower balls for the teal pots on the mantle.  Next up, patio furniture!  I love our deck and patios, and I want to use them more this summer.  I may actually log into Pinterest for this project...


DJ Steele is churning out the weddings already, which is pretty early for wedding season it seems.  The kids know wedding season means meetings in the Haymarket and Ivanna Cone for them!  Turns out, I find a way to incorporate ice cream into meetings, even if they happen via phone after the kids have long been tucked in for the night ;)


Rowen.  "What?"


Dakota deserves an award for most patient dog ever.


I know this may seem ridiculous, but this year's Valentine's Day gift from the love of my life has given me more happiness over the last 3 months than is probably healthy.  I absolutely love having my nails painted.  I feel like I'm a fairly low-maintenance gal, and for goodness' sake if I want to keep my nails shellac'ed all year 'round then I should probably just go ahead and make that happen.  Then, I get all practical and realize I don't have the time to spend an hour at the nail salon every two weeks, and I really hate to spend the money!  Turns out...you can do it at home.  All you need is a UV lamp (link to the exact model I have, and I have no complaints about it!) and gel or shellac polish (Target, Walmart, Beauty Supply...).  I'm telling you what, I have never been happier about the convenience to do it myself on the weekends while I'm watching Netflix and DJ Steele is working.  The initial cost is about what you'd pay for two salon manicures.  Totally worth it.

You're welcome.


 May Day! It was cold and rainy, and we did it anyway.  (Memory makin' and all that.) 


Rugger started playing flag football this "spring".  I don't know any of the rules.  I honestly would give a 50/50 guess if you asked me if he was playing offense or defense.  Not kidding.  I am just so uninterested in football as a sport, I can't even spare a few brain cells to try and figure that one out.  Don't even try to talk to me about downs.  I understand touchDOWNS and I think I have the extra point figured out.  Anywhooooo....

You know how crazy I am about my kid, right?  So if he wants to play football, I will go to all the games and take cues from those around me as to when I need to cheer really loud. 


If he has the ball and appears to be running in the correct direction, I cheer really loud.  If he's running after the other guy who has the ball, I will yell, "Get 'em!!"  That's about as far as I can safely go without looking like a fool. 


Rugger has been so lucky to have three sets of grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends show up to cheer him on.  I've really slacked with the pictures lately, and I'm kicking myself for my lack of photo evidence that our family is amazing.  I stole this one from the kids' adopted little sister's mom ;)


Well, it's nearly 100 degrees outside so I sent my bigs out with water guns and told them not to fall into the pond. At least one of them really requires more supervision than that, so I'm off ;)

-Becky

0 comments: