"The real winners in life are people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." - Barbara Pletcher

Friday, July 19, 2013

Best Days

In a stroke of parenting genius last week I tricked my kids into falling asleep well before 8pm one night.  It worked so well I did it again the next night.  Early bedtimes are a win for everyone.  Those kids are beyond summer'ed out.  EXHAUSTED.  Play all day, party all night, repeat, repeat, repeat. 

A little kid-free evening yard work with my guy and our favorite pooch. 




Early to bed, early to rise, and more time in the mornings to get stuff done.  Another big win.  With our extra time, I offered the kids paid jobs to earn money to buy treats at the pool.  My philosophy on chores is simply everyone does them and no one gets paid.  When they're adults, no one is going to pay them to put away their own laundry or clean their own bathroom.  My kids have to help keep the house in order, because they live here.  There are some tasks that I either consider my responsibility, or bigger jobs that don't need to be done daily, which I will pay the kids to do if they want to earn money.

By 11:30am in addition to our regular unpaid chores (bedrooms, bathroom, laundry, dishwasher, garbages, recycle, pets fed and watered, gosh the list actually goes on and on but I don't want anyone to turn me into CPS) we had our big white van swept and mopped out, the garage swept out, the cat litter box cleaned, rat cage cleaned, all the glass wiped down, yard picked up, chicken coop scooped, patios swept and hosed off, shoe closet organized, babies entertained...  I tell you what!

I get a bunch of chores checked off my list, AND I don't have to pack snacks for the pool?!!!!  WIN.


I love everything about watching kids earn and spend their own money.  When you had to work for it, it's a lot harder to let it go.  They each made very careful selections!



Some of them like to have change leftover, some like to spend every last penny.  Some of them chose the harder/nastier jobs (chicken coop-SICK) and earned more money, and ended up with better selections.  It's always a pretty sweet learning opportunity.



As a side note-poolside is probably one of my favorite places to be, ever.  I will mourn the last swim day of summer!

Such fun, love these days!

0 comments: